Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Can I use a blender motor as a fan?

Martaine2005

May 12, 2015
Before you invest a ton
He hasn't invested anything. He is recycling a blender motor.
the motor or it may kill itself by the ("unlimited") r.p.m.'s
Clearly you have never used used a blender. They do not have 'unlimited' RPM's.
They may be more efficient cutting onions or whisking a smoothie though.
put an incandescent bulb in series, starting at 25W, increasing. Make sure there is comparable load on the motor
Would that be a small onion. Or half a large onion?
Whether the fan is too heavy I can't tell.
Why not? You seem to know everything about a blender motor and an incandescent light bulb.
The frequency of the vibration is related to the rpm's.
That will be difficult then! These motors have 'unlimited' RPM's.
The motor does not like light dimmers.
Have you met it?

Gosh, The OP is using a motor. Yes, the RPM is going to be high. Yes, vibration will be an issue with unbalanced blades.
But, get a life. Just enjoy tinkering and let others tinker!
Martin

morphingstar

Mar 1, 2012
I agree with you, Minder, universal is the term, or serial for exactness. The field and anchor are wired in series. Considering the low cost need I don't assume any of these power tools would have a more complicated circuitry - sort of parallel / series design. It cost too much. However, the "series" motor was designed to be controlled by a switch, not by a phase cutting scr hitting the magnetic iron selected for 60 Hz. Phase cut power (distorted sine wave) need an iron with faster response, costs more.
The inquirer did not give us any idea on how the original switch controlled the motor. While it might work with a dimmer it may not have the optimized efficiency as it had with a switch; at the same spindle load the motor will get hotter, consume more watts.
My suggestions were mainly guidance on checking the performance in a way which does not destruct the motor. Once the user has an idea of the relations between volts, amps, watts, rpms (revolutions per minute) he is less likely to damage something. To be really accurate he would need a wattmeter when using an scr (dimmer) as in this case the formula volt x amps = watt is no longer true, it becomes volt x amp = VOLTAMPERES, a value which is always higher than watts, could be 20%.

Minder

Apr 24, 2015
. While it might work with a dimmer it may not have the optimized efficiency as it had with a switch; at the same spindle load the motor will get hotter, consume more watts.

The typical Universal or series motor is used in Power tools, appliances, routers etc, often use a Triac style dimmer for RPM control, the lower mean voltage results in lower mean current (torque).
If not included, there are many after-market Triac controller for these tools.
One poster on another forum I frequent recently designed a Triac controller with PID feedback to control the RPM of shop routers that use this type motor, (see SuperPID).
Because the field is in series with the armature, when off load, the increasingly weaking field results in a runaway condition that is only controlled by load/friction/windage or a reduction in mean voltage.
An example of an off loaded universal motor is when you block the outlet of a Vacuum cleaner, the rpm increases drastically due to the unloaded fan.
M.

Alec_t

Jul 7, 2015
Methinks you'll find the motor noise very annoying :(. Fan motors are normally an induction type (much quieter than a universal motor)

morphingstar

Mar 1, 2012
He hasn't invested anything. He is recycling a blender motor.

Clearly you have never used used a blender. They do not have 'unlimited' RPM's.
They may be more efficient cutting onions or whisking a smoothie though.

Would that be a small onion. Or half a large onion?

Why not? You seem to know everything about a blender motor and an incandescent light bulb.

That will be difficult then! These motors have 'unlimited' RPM's.

Have you met it?

Gosh, The OP is using a motor. Yes, the RPM is going to be high. Yes, vibration will be an issue with unbalanced blades.
But, get a life. Just enjoy tinkering and let others tinker!
Martin

I can see (read) what you enjoy.

duke37

Jan 9, 2011
#9 says that it already has speed control, this could be modified to suit the application.

The torque needed for a fan is proportional to the square of the speed so the motor current should be low at low speed.

Martaine2005

May 12, 2015
This was a thread, Can I use a blender for a fan?
The answer is simply YES.
Obviously there would be other problems. ie . RPM, Vibration, blade size and diameter.
The OP isn't making a helicopter, Yes, it will work.
Not a desirable fan but a fan.

Martin