Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Can someone help me - Cable trouble.

AT98

Jan 24, 2016
Hi, I'm new here.

I'm currently trying to repair the controller of a Wii U game console.

For those that don't know, the controller is known as the game pad, and features a large touch screen display in the centre.

Something fell onto the screen and dented the screen.
It was only a small dent, but it managed to throw the calibration right off, and made any touch input to the screen go way off and rendered it un-usable.

The Screen was still fully lit - no dead pixels. So I figured and hoped that it was a problem with the digitizer only.
I bought a new digitizer and it came today.
I disassembled the handset and installed the new screen.

After powering it up, everything worked but the new digitizer it's self - dispite being a brand new digitizer with now dents or anything, it wasn't registering at all apart from on one click.

So I'm not really sure what's going on.
The digitizer and screen are connected to the main board via two ribbon cables - one larger long one that connects the LCD, and a small and thin one that connects the digitizer.

My fear is that, upon installation, that ribbon cable connecting the digitizer has been damaged.

What I wanted to ask was what a damaged ribbon cable looks like?

I've attached a picture of mine, so I was hoping someone here would be able to tell weather it looks damaged or not?
I've added a shot of the components with the main board loose, also.

Thanks very much for your time.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    281.7 KB · Views: 76
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    265.8 KB · Views: 70
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    327.6 KB · Views: 64

dorke

Jun 20, 2015
A damaged cable can have various forms:
Snape, cut, rubbed, corroded terminals etc.

It would be better if you can post a good photo from several angles and sides for inspection.

AT98

Jan 24, 2016
A damaged cable can have various forms:
Snape, cut, rubbed, corroded terminals etc.

It would be better if you can post a good photo from several angles and sides for inspection.

Understood, thanks very much for your reply.

I'll post some better photos.

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
The pic's are very dark
so what is the problem ?
have you damaged the ribbon cable ? if so they are usually unrepairable1

or have you just got the wrong touchscreen ( I'm assuming your use of the word digitiser in your earlier post is actually referring to the touchscreen which is what they are normally called)

Dave

AT98

Jan 24, 2016
The pic's are very dark
so what is the problem ?
have you damaged the ribbon cable ? if so they are usually unrepairable

Dave

Well that's what I'm trying to find out - when reassembled after installing the new digitiser, the screen wasn't touch sensitive and wasn't recognising touch inputs.
I know everything else is plugged in fine, as the system I've now realised has a fail safe mechanism where the power button flashes and then the system turns off, if anything on the board isn't plugged in properly.

What I'm wondering is weather the ribbon cable is damaged or not, and if anyone can tell by looking at it whether it is or not.

you'll notice the cable has some grey lines on it (sorry for the picture quality) which upon close inspection, appear to have been caused as the plastic housing on the cable bent when I was re insterting the ribbon cable into the port on the board - despite being very careful, the cable is tiny, and it was incredibly difficult to securely clip it into the port.
None of the wire inside appears to be broken, however, but it's hard to tell.

My point is, I don't know weather the cable is damaged or whether it isnt - I don't know what a damaged (to the point of not working) ribbon cable looks like.

I'm just trying to narrow down on what the issue might be.

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:

AT98

Jan 24, 2016
or have you just got the wrong touchscreen ( I'm assuming your use of the word digitiser in your earlier post is actually referring to the touchscreen which is what they are normally called)

Dave

Understood.
It was labled digitiser on Ebay so I presumed that's what it was called.

I pressume it's the right one - it looks identical to the old one and was labled as such, and I got it from the same seller on Ebay that I've bought phone touch screens from in the past that have worked.

As said in my original post, the new touchscreen did register just once, so there's definitly some sort of connection there.

Thanks

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
in all your pix you have only shown one side of the ribbon cable and that side appears to be OK

none of your pix show the contact side of the cable, and it may be damaged

I also want to see a close up, well focussed and well lit pic of the connector that the cable plugs into to see if it or the PCB is damaged

AT98

Jan 24, 2016
in all your pix you have only shown one side of the ribbon cable and that side appears to be OK

none of your pix show the contact side of the cable, and it may be damaged

I also want to see a close up, well focussed and well lit pic of the connector that the cable plugs into to see if it or the PCB is damaged

For some reason, it looks like pictures 1, 2 and 3 didn't upload, two of those were the other side of the ribbon. I'll re-upload.

I'll also include pictures of the PCB.

Thanks.

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
For some reason, it looks like pictures 1, 2 and 3 didn't upload, two of those were the other side of the ribbon. I'll re-upload.

no, I deleted those posts as they were the basically same as your last image posts but lots darker

I want to see the side of the cable that has the bare ends ... and not hidden by the screwdriver as you did in ALL images