Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Can someone please identify what this sensor (?) Could be?

Iroc57

Aug 7, 2022
Hey everyone. So I own a JBL PRX tower PA system that I use for acoustic gigs and open jams. A couple of times on me it would freeze on boot and restart but after trying it a few times it would normally work and stay on, but it's finally had enough and now just continously boots. Manufacturer was closed for the weekend and there are no shops nearby for warranty service so I opened up the back just see if there was a loose wire or something...

Well I found this extremely delicate wire that was attached to this sticky black tape-like material and honestly I don't know if I pulled it apart or if it was already damaged, so I have no clue whether this could be the cause of my problem. Could someone please identify what this might before for in the context of pro-audio?

It is like a tiny coax cable, miniscule with a shielding between the layers of insulation. There is a metal bracket on the top of the tape where the shielding appeared to sit. Then there was a tiny solder ball that attached the internal wire to the middle of the paper. Under the paper there are some orange squares. This entire thing seems to lead from the power button, and was taped to the inside of the speaker on a plastic surface.

Any ideas would be appreciated. The system continues to restart itself no matter what I do with this wire and paper. I'd like to at least confirm that this wasn't my originally issue so it doesn't get found when I send it out for warranty service. Couple pics attached, thanks!

If anyone knows of a better forum to post this I'll take that advice as well.

Pictures don't want to upload from my phone. I will add them through my PC in a moment

edit: dont know why they continue to get errors uploading. Drive link to the pics: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1R-i_yHqGnCOrs2UWFxA9xEjrl-TH1ook?usp=sharing

Last edited:

Martaine2005

May 12, 2015
Pictures on this forum seem to be limited to max resolution of 300kB. You could try resizing them but the drive link works fine for me.
Coming from the power button, I immediately thought of a capacitive touch button. But I really have no idea.

Martin

Iroc57

Aug 7, 2022
Power button still works, so the capacitive touch must be right under the button, while this wire leads away from it. Tried resizing but see if the google drive link works. I think is is too fine to see at such a low resolution anyway. Might have nothing go do with the power at all, but I've never seen a sensor like this. Ground wire attaches to one set of orange rectangles, main wire attached to another set. But this tape wasn't even on a conductive surface so I can't imagine what this is designed to sense

Last edited:

kellys_eye

Jun 25, 2010
The connector looks to be a typical sub-miniature coax as might be found on wi-fi antennas or bluetooth antennas. That said is might be a simple 'motion' sensor that can detect over-driving of the speakers or perhaps feedback suppression? Just guessing here - not at all familiar with the product!

The reboot issue is probably power supply related though.

Martaine2005

May 12, 2015
That 4th photo with the U.FL connector was not available yesterday when I looked. So it definitely won’t be capacitive touch.
And I’m still none the wiser.

Martin