Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Can someone show me how to install a digital/mechanical counter on a device?

richxe

Feb 11, 2021
I need to put in a digital/mechanical number counter display that is able to increase by 1+ whenever the device is turned on with the power button. That way, I can track how many times the device is turned on at any given time. Please advise on what materials I need to get and if it's too complicated, any recommended local hobbyist that I can go to get this done.

Thanks.

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
I need to put in a digital/mechanical number counter display that is able to increase by 1+ whenever the device is turned on with the power button. That way, I can track how many times the device is turned on at any given time. Please advise on what materials I need to get and if it's too complicated, any recommended local hobbyist that I can go to get this done.

Thanks.

well since you have not shown the counter you want to use, or the device you want to connect it to

it's going to be extremely difficult for anyone to help you

richxe

Feb 11, 2021
I would like to put in a non-reset electromechanical counter that can count events with every pulse or switch ON event that occurs on a device. As far as brand/model, I really have no idea.

richxe

Feb 11, 2021
Okay...I found this. I think this is what I need. Now, what do I need to watch out for on the specs? How do I know if this would work for my application?

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-02-10 182444.jpg
    Screenshot 2021-02-10 182444.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 8

ratstar

Aug 20, 2018
(im just winging it here) It would take so much power from the thing you want to count, and it would be best to not take too much current from where ur hacking in to it, or you might disturb the circuit (like a multimeter), but maybe that doesnt matter, depends, and so much extra power to run it. how many wires does it have?

The HZ function on some multimeters, do this exact job, when they are detecting the frequency, they actually just counting how many taps it was, just very quickly over time. but it doesnt log the value, it forgets it and recounts every new second, so it doesnt work exactly the same i guess.

Sunnysky

Jul 15, 2016
In the 70's I used the 1st LED calculator to do this using +1 = = = = = = = using an analog switch to duplicate key presses $10

Harald Kapp

Nov 17, 2011
Now, what do I need to watch out for on the specs? How do I know if this would work for my application?
The datasheet of the counter would be my starting point.
Look for operating voltage, power etc.