Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Can you build a computer mouse from scratch?

CocaCola

Apr 7, 2012
Yeah, it's dead simple, even easier and in many cases cost effective to just take the board and encoders out of an existing mouse and simply re-purpose it for your needs...

SRT8Don

Sep 13, 2012
Thanks for the reply. I am looking for someone to build me a prototype of a peripheral I have designed. It will look more like the Staples "easy button" but must also communicate with ones PC in a manner I can go in to later.

Is that something you are cabable of doing?
Thanks

SRT8Don

Sep 13, 2012
Just checked out your interests

"electronics, model fabrication, metal working, wood working, casting and molding plastic resins"

Guess you could do this no problem?

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
So let's be clear about what you want.

From your description, you want a mouse -- but different.

Sounds trivial. Since you haven't define "but different", I can only assume it's something unimportant for us to know.

So simply go and buy a mouse and stop wasting our time.

Alternatively, if "something different" is important, then explain exactly what that something different is.

We may be able to give you advice on how to build it up torself, but people coming here looking for someone to "build a prototype" often have no idea what that means (and no budget for it).

CocaCola

Apr 7, 2012
We may be able to give you advice on how to build it up torself, but people coming here looking for someone to "build a prototype" often have no idea what that means (and no budget for it).

Seems like a lot of them as of late, but as you said almost all have no idea of the cost or have a budget...

The OP as I stated bashing an over the counter mouse to do the job is the easy and cheapest method... Building a ground up USB HID (Human Interface Device) is not overly complicated but it's not going to be done on a shoestring budget if you have to hire someone to do it for you...

As for me being able to do it, yes I would expect I would have no problem doing it, from start to delivered working prototype including the housing/case if you have the budget... But it's not going to happen cheap, even a small project like this can consume hundreds of hours of labor and I cost hundreds or real dollars out of my pocket to develop... Thus it isn't going to be cheap, I can't afford to work for free or give my time and money away when someone else is standing in line willing to pay for my time...

Last edited:

SRT8Don

Sep 13, 2012
Thanks for the reply guys.

I can assure you I am not here to waste anyones time, as my day job as President of an Los Angeles based mortgage company is time consuming enough. The information I provided was basic due to privacy issues and posting it on an open forum would not be in my best interest.

Coca Cola:

I would never expect someone to do something for nothing, so payment for your time and efforts can be discussed. The budget will not be an issue either, as I have faith in this idea and will do whatever I need to do to bring it to fruition.

I am unaware of the rules of this forum but would like to speak to you personally. I would require a very brief NDA to be signed and I can fill you in on the details. Please let me know how I can contact you off line.

Thank you for your time.

CocaCola

Apr 7, 2012
Please contact me at the temp email below, signing a NDA is not a problem...

me.temporary_sept (at) mailmetrash.com

I'll check that email addy for the next 48-72 hours and than delete it...

SRT8Don

Sep 13, 2012
email did not work
Sorry, we were unable to deliver your message to the following address.

<[email protected]>:
Remote host said: 554 The IP Address of the sender (98.136.216.219) was found in a DNS blacklist database and was therefore refused. [RCPT_TO]

CocaCola

Apr 7, 2012
email did not work
Sorry, we were unable to deliver your message to the following address.

<[email protected]>:
Remote host said: 554 The IP Address of the sender (98.136.216.219) was found in a DNS blacklist database and was therefore refused. [RCPT_TO]

I guess that anonymous email forwarder didn't like your yahoo email...

Try this one...

kwerciapowe (at) dunflimblag.mailexpire.com