Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Cant find pinout for joystick pots

swenmasterson

Sep 29, 2013
Hi everyone,

I am converting an N64 controller - Switching the original joystick for a joystick salvaged from a 3rd party controller. Everything is wired up correctly according to a manual of the mod's creator, however the project doesnt work.

I suspect the pots, I have no idea if I have the right pinout for them. How could I find this out for sure? The pinout that I drew is the pinout that I believe is correct, however I am not sure. Black wire is GND, red VCC, blue and red is signal. Please find photos below:

http://imgur.com/a/MllpO

Thanks for all input

shrtrnd

Jan 15, 2010
Are the pots themselves the correct resistance value?
Do you have an ohmeter to check the value of the resistances, to determine the
pin-out?
If you're pretty sure you've got this wired correctly, you need to determine if one or
more of the pots from your salvaged 3rd part controller is bad.

swenmasterson

Sep 29, 2013
Are the pots themselves the correct resistance value?
Do you have an ohmeter to check the value of the resistances, to determine the
pin-out?
If you're pretty sure you've got this wired correctly, you need to determine if one or
more of the pots from your salvaged 3rd part controller is bad.

Hi, the donor controller was brand new so Id like to think that the pots are functional, but you never know right? Yes, I have a multimeter, how would I go about checking the pinout using a multimeter? Thanks! :)

shrtrnd

Jan 15, 2010
If you still have the old joystick assembly, take resistance readings while adjusting
the joystick. You should be able to read the points on the old joystick, to their
counterparts on the new one. Compare the old joystick readings to the new one.

swenmasterson

Sep 29, 2013
The old joystick does not use pots, instead it uses an optical mechanism similar to old computer mice that utilized a ball instead of a laser. Because of this I cant compare the two. The new joystick pots are wired through an attiny24 processor which transforms the signal to a signal readable by the Nintendo 64. In other words I have a joystick comprised of two pots each with 3 pins and I do not know which of these pins (on each pot) is GND,VCC and signal. I suspect a wrong connection of these pins is causing the joystick to not function (at all).

shrtrnd

Jan 15, 2010
Where did you get this design from?
You're swapping-out a optical encoder for a potentiometer joystick, that interfaces
through some other circuit to your Nintendo?
Is it possible to get more information about this from the source?
If you can't get more specific information about what this new design is, and you're not
doing this as some personal do-it-yourself project; I'd get on ebay and get myself an original Nintendo 64 controller.
You don't need an ohmeter, you need a complete schematic of what the circuit is for
your homebrew.

swenmasterson

Sep 29, 2013
I got the design from a guy on a console-mod forum. The hex file and schematic can be obtained below.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/zmzz5zm7z89yzv3/N64+Stick+Converter+PCB+v2.1.zip

I am doing this as a do it yourself project, just for fun, besides this design is far superior to what can be bought on ebay.

I contacted the guy so that he could check my circuit and other possible faults but we couldnt come up with anything, since he couldnt find the fault, I suspect the pot due to the fact that different pots would have different pinouts.

Last edited: