Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Capacitor as backup to 12v train camera system power

mcates

Apr 3, 2019
Bob, I am waiting for the new caps fro Turngity. I will find the data sheet for the power supply and post. I know what i have now is too big of a cap for the system. I was just testing using it since I had it. Thank you again. I will get you that info by tomorrow.

mcates

Apr 3, 2019
Presumably the individual caps are series-connected, but in the post #34 link there is no visible circuitry for equalising the cap voltages as they charge/discharge :confused:. Also, the module is rated for an input voltage of 11.1V max, so that could be a problem if the TS uses 12V on the track.

Yes they are in seris.

Mobjan

Apr 11, 2019
Thanks for the response. Sorry was out of town at sons baseball.

AC power is connected to the trains power supply and converts to DC voltage.

But now from what you are saying I am going to need Tutuapp something that when the power is off the tracks at night it will still drain the capacitor and from what your saying the track power of 12v-18v is not enough to charge the bank within a few minutes?

If so then I am still in the boat of needing a relay or mosfett to monitorthe track power and when its turned off for the night to wait 3-5 seconds and cut power to the camera and the power to the transmitter. Then they won't drain the capacitor or battery Appvalley and when power is restored the next morning the relays will kick in and restore power to the 2 devices.

I just don't know for sure what relays or mosfetts I can use and how to wire them into my diodes/capacitors/booster/usb system.

Thanks for your answers, It helps me to sloved my problem.

Bob,
As a test it is working great with the capacitors I have. Last 5 min on those Shaluoman Farad Capacitor 2.7V 500F 35X60MM Super Capacitor With Protection Board. I do have one question about my bridge rectifier. I have two types and 3uTools both are getting real hot. Would that be because my power unit can give up to 5 amps and 20 volts? I have tried both of these below and I sent my power supply to 12v and 2amps but it got hot as hell.
KBP307 Flat Bridge Bridge Rectifier 3A/700V
2A 1000V 2W10 Bridge Diode Rectifier CYT1014

I ordered a couple of these as I am not sure if I have under power bridge rectifiers?
6A 600V BRIDGE RECTIFIER GBU6J
NTE Electronics NTE53004 Full Wave Single Phase Bridge Rectifier, 10 Amps, 1000V Maximum DC Blocking Voltage

Or what bridge rectifiers do you recommend??? I definitely need one as they can through the train in reverse and it will blow the system.

Thanks and I hope to have the TURNIGY ones in by the end of the week.

THANK YOU again for all your help!

Mike
This is helpful me too.