Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Capacitor charging questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

sardonicus

Jun 17, 2014
So I decided that I wanted to tinker a little with coilguns just for fun. The coilgun plans that I am working from operate at 450 volts. Initially to charge the capacitors I had found a little zvs capacitor charger on amazon that would go up to 390 volts and that was close enough so I got one of those and powering with a 12v battery immediately blew it up. Not sure really why it blew up, but I figured it might be better to just get something a little beefier, so I ordered another zvs driver meant for powering a little induction heater and made my own little transformer and rectifier to get up to the voltage I needed. This seemed like a pretty straight forward idea but I can't for the life of me make this zvs driver work and I am hoping that I might get some insights here. So this is what happens, if I connect power to the driver without a load on it, 12v in and i see 12v on the output but it doesnt seem to oscillate. It just sits there outputting 12v dc. I figured maybe it requires a load to function so I added the transformer, the rectifier, and a high voltage capacitor. The capacitor isnt particularly high capacitance at 1uf but it will handle 5kv so I figured it would be a good test capacitor to get a sense of how much voltage this setup will produce without risking the 450v capacitors in case the voltage produced ended up higher than anticipated. Now with the transformer, rectifier, and capacitor connected to the zvs driver all it does is sit there and get the mosfets hot. This is my first experience with zvs drivers or capacitor charging, im sure whatever I am missing its probably something simple but I just cant figure it out. I am going to attach a diagram of the zvs driver that I bought.

Attachments

• 61doNyPRZJL._AC_SL1000_.jpg
    61doNyPRZJL._AC_SL1000_.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 5

bertus

Nov 8, 2019
Hello,

Did you read the ToS:
Some topics may be considered inappropriate, unsafe, unethical or offensive. We are likely to moderate content which strays into following areas (this list is not exhaustive):

- Weapons
- Spy tools
- Hacking/Piracy
- Personal or public risk
- Offensive or threatening behaviour
- Spam
- General off-topicness
- Pseudo-science

Therefore I will close the thread.

Bertus

Status
Not open for further replies.