Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Capacitor identification

James Wilson

Dec 18, 2020
Hi everyone,

I am trying to fix my Iiyama monitor, and have great difficulty identifying some small capacitors:
They are blue caps, I assume ceramic, with the following marking:

3kV
SEC

I take it they are 47 pF and 3kV rated voltage, but I don't understand what SEC means, and I can't seem to find any capacitor with the SEC marking anywhere so unsure if it's the manufacturer's name or a rating of temperature resistance or something else that's important.
For information, the screen keeps turning black every few minutes, the power board is dark brown in places so seems to have heated up quite a bit, and some big caps have left a heat mark on the casing, so I'm changing those (9 in total, urgh...)
The 2 small caps (which I'm trying to identify) appear to have heated up a lot as well because the power board is dark brown around them, and the soldering looks awful, so I'm changing these as well in the hope that it works.
I include a pic (or try to anyway).

Thanks a lot for your help, and since it's my first post, all my apologies if I've unknowingly done a forum faux-pas...

James

Attachments

• Cap.jpg
    Cap.jpg
    155.7 KB · Views: 13

Harald Kapp

Nov 17, 2011
I take it they are 47 pF and 3kV rated
Agreed.
I can't seem to find any capacitor with the SEC marking anywhere so unsure if it's the manufacturer's name or a rating of temperature resistance or something else that's important.
Looks like the manufacturer's logo.
The 2 small caps (which I'm trying to identify) appear to have heated up a lot as well because the power board is dark brown around them, and the soldering looks awful, so I'm changing these as well in the hope that it works.
The caps look fine. The darkening of the pcb is imho due to resistor R116 next to the capacitors. I recommend to leave these caps in place. The resistor also looks good.
If you like, re-solder the components to improve the "awful soldering".