Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Capacitor labeling

HandySuperman

Jul 30, 2020
Helo everyone; I am new here )
Does anyone know what the numbers 005 04 on a disc capacitor mean???
I cannot determine the value of it..i tested it with continuity and it beeps so its shorted..
it came off a power supply board for a wine cooler..
but dont know what these numbers mean )) really appreciate it..
See picture...thanks a lot!
Handy

Attachments

• 20200729_234055.jpg
    20200729_234055.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 12

Harald Kapp

Nov 17, 2011
Are you sure this is a capacitor? The labeling is unusual for a capacitor.
From the case it could be also a varistor (MOV).
Do you have a schematic of the respective circuit? Or a photo of the relevant PCB part? (Note: size limit for uploads ~ 300 kB)

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
It could also be a thermistor used as part of surge protection.

HandySuperman

Jul 30, 2020
Thank you Harald and Steve..that actually helped alot...i dont have a schematic..just testing 1 part at a time..
i checked the board again ..and you were right its not a cap..its an RTC..i searched it and says REAL TIME CLOCK..but not asure
and i have no idea how to measure it or tell if its bad or not.....and what those numbers mean )
...i think it is part of the surge...its right after the 110v fuse..
i added a pic to see where it was....any thoughts ?20200730_035412 copy.jpg

73's de Edd

Aug 21, 2015
Sir HandySuperman . . . . . . ( now, I ask you . . . . doesn't that additionally require a preemptive . . .Super Dooper being in front ? )

So . . . . . you initially qualify it as being a GREEN disc ceramic capacitor and being neither scorched nor having heat marks , althougk it DOES seem to appear a bit "pooched " . . . .with your further acute visual examination.
Since you do have it pulled now , proceed a bit further into the thermistor / inrush surgistor supposition by connecting an ohmmeter across its leads and confirm it has a low ohms reading and then direct the heat stream of a heat gun /or/ hot air pubic hair drier commandeered from Mamma Cass's vanity.
It should start decreasing in resistance with progressive heat up time.
Then tell us what resistance you find before and after.

AND THEN . . .your photo shows up . . . . . at posting time . . . . now confirming as being an input rush thermistor, also being in series with your pig tail fuse in the AC line input.
. . . . . . . 99 86/100ths probability of this part having no fault.
Nearby should be a massive canned electrolytic capacitor and either its adjunct support, 4 power diodes or a FWB potted unit that supplies raw DC power to drive the black and yellow power transformer, as is being partially shown.

ASIDE INFO . . . . .
The cryptic
04 . . . . . .numbering assignment
Usually will subtly relate to the units cold resistance, which will significanty decrease after a minute of warmup time, with the power passage thru it.
In this case, one could guess at a 5 or 4 ohms cold resistance and the same 4 or 5 could relate to the mm in diameter of the thermo resistive slug. ( viz . . .POWER rating )

??? Was the pigtail fuse . . .or others, else where . . . . blown ???
Show us . . . MORE . . . board anatomy and with it including the final DC power outputted connections, hoping for output voltages to additionally be silk screened on.
Or, at the least, we can use the max voltage to be expected across the final DC filter E-capacitors.

73's de Edd

Within my lifetime, I’ve learned that pleasing EVERYONE is being absolutely impossible, BUT, pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.

Last edited:

Harald Kapp

Nov 17, 2011
RTC..i searched it and says REAL TIME CLOCK
No way this is a real time clock. In this case RTC stands most probably for RTC indicating a resistor (R) with temperature dependency (TC).
99 86/100ths probability of this part having no fault.
I agree. Even if truly shorted this would be relevant for a higher than usual inrush current, not for normal operation.

HandySuperman

Jul 30, 2020
Thank you 73;
I got 6 ohms to start and with a lighter flame to it...that number drops as it gets hot!!
1 of the bug electr caps blew ..and they all connect in the circuit...
the next part afthe thermistor is a 0.1uFk 275v-x2 CAP (i think safety cap)..
i tested it and i get 94.9 nanofarads (0.1 uf)...so ii safe to say its good as well?

Attachments

• 20200730_035356 copy.jpg
    20200730_035356 copy.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 5

HandySuperman

Jul 30, 2020
Thank uHarald..thats true..i dug up some info and RTC cud be Resistor Temp Control ...
from there it hops over to what looks like a small transformer and a few diodes...
can i continue testing along that path?

Attachments

• s-l300.jpg
    s-l300.jpg
    12.9 KB · Views: 5

73's de Edd

Aug 21, 2015
from there it hops over to what looks like a small transformer and a few diodes...

" Show us the money ! . . . . PHOTO ! "

Harald Kapp

Nov 17, 2011
??? Your image in post #8 shows a capacitor.
What you have is a switched mode power supply (SMPS). The diodes rectify the AC mains input. A corresponding DC voltage is stored on a large electrolytic capacitor (probably C12, not populated in the image in your post #4). From there on you'll find a power MOSFET and a regulator IC. Not easy to debug without proper knowlege of the operation of the circuit.

If you know what the output voltage on the secondary side of the power supply is, you can probably get along with supplying an external voltage at this point to verify that the rest of the circuit works.

73's de Edd

Aug 21, 2015
Sir Sooper Dooper HandySuperman . . . . . . ( but possibly ? . . . .not being quite so adequately illuminated in its electronics aspects)

Need that photo re hosted offsite for presenting a LARGER display, from what I CAN now make out, is a common OCCURING AND OCCURING AND OCCURING mistake, being the misinterpretation of some yellow "pookie"/ wall board adhesive being used for a physically large components hold down.
Thinking it as being the oozed out guts of an E-cap. ( Your LARGER RED arrow is pointing to that defined area. )
The circuit boards top left corner shows their cheapening / gutting out of some components normally being used in the AC power input circuitry.
I don't see your "stock photo ? " . . . . ( with its full long leads) "X" safety cap, being anywhere on the board, and it would typically be the omitted cap that mounted just down in its square box marking, just below the RTC.
Your visible reddish brown cap, could possibly also be an " X" safety rated cap.

The bottom left corner contains the initial 4 diodes used to feed rectified raw DC into your probably good E-cap, . . .( missing) . . .to the right of them.
What seemed to be THE power transformers corner in your 1st photo, is now relegated to a standby power supply duty with the MAIN unit being located down below it.
( Any chance that this unit has a remote control hand unit ? )
Need full info on the two power units marked on ID's . . . mounted on the dual heat sinks.
The main Matsushita 16 pin IC .......w.....a......y....... over on the other half of the board, is too far remoted to feed / relate to those 2 power devices, so one should expect their driver and I.C. controller brains to be contained within a flatpack SMD IC, that is being mounted very near to them, on the other side of the board.

The MAJOR power supply output will be going into the boards bottom centrals . . . dual Schottky rectifier, screw mounted to its quite ADEQUATE roaming L form heat sink.
It outputs into the round toroidal filter and then into its adjunct mounted TALL boy E-cap.
Some additional windings for other minor power supplies should also come from that transformer . . . used for . . . ..
The rest of that board half, and its two IC's, that seem to be related to your cooler control and temp aspects.
You do seem to have two B.uilt I.n T.est E.quipment notifiers , in the form of those RED and GREEN rectangular LED's . . . any illumination coming from them ? . . . . . . . . . . .but then, they may be related to the cooler indications aspect or for fans being powered / operational .
Do I just count 3 connectors on the right board half ?
Do you read a DC output on any of them ?

73's de Edd . . . . .

I used to eat a lot of natural foods, until I heard that most people die of natural causes.

Last edited: