Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Capacitor values for opamp circuit and adjustable gain

legoman

Oct 14, 2011
Hi all,

Attached is a schematic of an audio op amp preamp I wish to build. http://www.rason.org/Projects/opamps/opamps.htm I will use a NJM2068 opamp enstead of the TL082. I don't have the exact capacitors that the schematic shows. Would there be a significant impact in the circuit performance if I substituted the caps with values say 10x higher (1uF in place of 0.1uF or 100uF in place of 10uF)?

Also this schematic shows adjustable gain by using a resistor on the output. Would it not be more desirable to put the adjustable gain on the feedback resistor?

Thanks

Attachments

• design2.gif
    design2.gif
    4.2 KB · Views: 895

BobK

Jan 5, 2010
No, these are not critical. Increasing the input and output capacitors would increase the low frequency response. The one on the + input is to stabilize the voltage divider and a higher value would not change anything.

Bob

jackorocko

Apr 4, 2010
Reason for the pot on the output is to act like volume control. I have seen it on the input and output but never in the feedback loop before. Though I can't give you a specific reason for it.

I have an opinion on the caps, but I don't want to steer you wrong as I really don't know how it will effect the circuit performance. I just know what they are there for. :)