Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Carbon ribbon cable repair

Hami

Jul 25, 2022
I occasionally open my laptop to clean the fan, recently when I was disassembling it I accidentally cut the ribbon cable of my keyboard is there any way to fix it?
20220610-125136.jpg

John Canon

Jun 1, 2022
If I had to fix it here is what I would do. Find a small piece of glass or plexi about 2 cm by 8 cm. Epoxy the two cables so the conductors line up tip to tip, facing each other. Almost like you were splicing an audio tape. Next take some fine sandpaper or a curved exacto blade and scrape the clear top surface to expose the metallic conductors. Don't go too deep but tiny sctatches are OK.

Now get a repair kit for rear window defroster grids. It has a conductive gel that hardens when dry. Paint a fine line on every second conductor, then let dry overnight. Next day, use the tip of your exacto knife to manicure your workmanship. Now carefully paint in the missing gaps. Check when fully dry and wrap with several turns of electrical tape to protect the joint. Now put your knife away.

Bluejets

Oct 5, 2014
Can I get a winning lotto ticket to go also please.........:cool::):)
Conductors look like the colour of tinfoil.......

Martaine2005

May 12, 2015
As much as I know how difficult and frustrating it would be to attempt a fix, I’d give it a go.
But I would go diagonally rather than straight across. Then bridge each with thin magnet wire.
Then after a few days I’d be searching eBay for second hand keyboard.

Martin