Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Cash deposit for battery

bob freese

May 20, 2017
Ok here is my thought. How to generate more recycling of batteries. Lets face it we love portable electronics. But that means a lot of batteries. So what if a system was set up to create an incentive to recycle them, other than just doing the right thing.
The idea I have is one like many states have set up for recycling other items MONEY. Michigan, California, Oregon, and others give cash for plastic bottles and such, why not batteries?

Bluejets

Oct 5, 2014
Usually because the cost of transport of " dangerous goods" exceeds the scrap value.

shrtrnd

Jan 15, 2010
Not only that, but you CAN actually recycle plastic, glass, and paper.
You can't actually 'recycle' a dead small portable battery.
You could push for legislation to institute a 'disposal' tax on people, Big Brother would love that, but
it'd meet with a fair amount of public resistance.
Some 'progressive' idea might be to tax the heck out of everybody, and then whatever the bureaucrats might leave some of that money for, would be to pay them to turn-in dead batteries for disposal. More like a ransom payment that a 'recycle' fee. You know, to 'save the children, environment' or whatever the latest cause dejure is this week.

duke37

Jan 9, 2011
In the UK, most supermarkets have a bin to put used batteries in. I have no idea what they do with them.

bigkim100

Apr 17, 2013
In the UK, most supermarkets have a bin to put used batteries in. I have no idea what they do with them.
If its anything like Ink and Toner cartridges here, they are used to supplement landfill sites...lol
The collection of recycling charges, very seldom actually goes into the actual recycling of the actual products. Its a Feel-Good charge to make you feel better about the actual purchase of something that you well know is is really bad for the environment.