Maker Pro
Maker Pro

CD player read problem

BrianL

Dec 9, 2011
I've got an Onkyo DX-C390 carousel CD player that won't read the CD until I eject and and close the tray (to make it read again) about a dozen times. What causes this?
Also I *think* it reads OK once it warms up (ie. after playing once CD).

Timescope

Aug 30, 2012
Some CD players have a small rubber drive belt under the tray for loading that may be worn out.
Timescope

CocaCola

Apr 7, 2012
Try this, cut some small pieces of masking tape and place them around the hole of the CD on top (aka not the mirrored side) do this around the entire hole... Now try it... If it works than the spindle that spins the CD is probably dried out and this causes the CD to slip and not spin at the proper speed... The masking tape will give the spindle something more to grip vs the slick CD surface and will temporarily fix this issue...

Like so...
attachment.php

Attachments

• taped_cd.jpg
    taped_cd.jpg
    9.1 KB · Views: 374
Last edited:

donkey

Feb 26, 2011
wow thats a ingenius idea, never thought of it before.
another question is how often do you use a cd cleaner? the laser may have something on it. try not to use home remedy cleaners as most leave a residue and residue = bad laser reads

Harald Kapp

Nov 17, 2011
I cleaned the spindle with a soft cloth dipped in pure alcohol. Worked a charme in my case.
I never used a lens cleaner. If necessary, pressurized (canned) air can remove dust. Lacking pure pressurizes air I used cleaning spray for video recorder heads. Leaves no residues and works well.

CocaCola

Apr 7, 2012
wow thats a ingenius idea, never thought of it before

I discovered that trick long ago when CD/DVD players for computers were actually costly... My $400 (I can't believe they used to cost that) DVD burner on my computer had a spindle issue and I discovered the masking tape trick to milk some more time out of the drive before replacement...

Getting into the drive and actually cleaning (or replacing) the spindle like Harald suggest is the best option, but the masking tape works and will help narrow down if that is the problem...

BrianL

Dec 9, 2011
Unfortunately that doesn't seem to be the problem with mine. I tried it anyway to be sure, but it's not even trying to read the CD. It doesn't make any noise (well except one very faint click). And I have to eject it and close it again for it to try again. Usually after about 20 tries, it will read it and make the squeaking noise they usually make when reading (which I think is the servo motor that moves the laser unit on it's rails). But tonight I tried about 50 times and couldn't get it to read.

donkey

Feb 26, 2011
I don't know the indsides of CD players too well but I am assuming there is a switch or something that would detect the CD inside which would initialise the laser.... or the laser itself might do that. would that be an area of concern?

grant1842

Oct 1, 2012
All so I have replaced bad CAPS that cause this Disc Read Error . So I would check the SMPS pcb, and the other boards as well.

CocaCola

Apr 7, 2012
Fire it up with the cover off and see what it happening or not happening, it might give you some insight...