Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Ceramic Capacitor question(ECS Module rebuild 91 3000gt)

C&R Doin' Stuff

Feb 16, 2022
i asked this on the Dodge Stealth/Mitsubishi 3000gt forum and could not get an answer but i am currently in the every couple of year capacitor replacement in the ECS(Electronically controlled suspension) module and by mistake bent the one 104 ceramic capacitor and when i stood it back up some of it cracked off the leg, I can NOT seem to find 104 ceramic caps in the 10mm round x 2mm thick and says 104 on the front, i have no idea of the volt rating and not sure if i can use the ones i have which are the same just smaller in size(physically), can these be replaced with something newer and what would that be if anyone would know, and if i anyone can help me figure out there voltage or specs by the surrounding stuff thats cool also, all the caps are 1uf@50v if that matters but they are standard style any help to id these will let me finish redoing all of these boards for this car, as i have the digital climate control computer and ECU(engine control unit)caps as well and just waiting on digi keys delivery which should be here tomorrow, HUGE THANKS for any info or help

Bluejets

Oct 5, 2014
If it's automotive, 50v rating should be fine.
My question is, why replace ceramic caps, electros maybe once in a blue moon, but ceramics....???

C&R Doin' Stuff

Feb 16, 2022
i mentioned it in the first post, but when removing the electros i bent one over then when i straightened it and some of it cracked off and yes automotive use and the surrounding caps are all 50v also so will ANY SIZED 104(0.1uf)@50v work and when i say size i mean physical

Tha fios agaibh

Aug 11, 2014
Any size will work provided it physically fits.
As long as ratings are met or exceeded.

The spacing of leads (pitch) is more important than the diameter so it can be inserted down through the holes without excess lead exposure.

You may of had a 500v rating which is close to 10mm diameter.

C&R Doin' Stuff

Feb 16, 2022
weird would an automotive suspension control unit use 500v though? when all surrounding electro caps and such are 50v rated if i can get a pic to upload i will show what i mean, all electro caps are either 16v or 50v rated and i kinda need to figure this out so i can get it assembled and in the car for the move< thanks for any info/help

Attachments

• VirginECS.jpg
    VirginECS.jpg
    124.7 KB · Views: 6
  • F6LtpwDh.jpg
    F6LtpwDh.jpg
    140 KB · Views: 5
  • 210BtX6h.jpg
    210BtX6h.jpg
    144.9 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:

Tha fios agaibh

Aug 11, 2014
Could be. Some manufacturers buy large quantities of universal components to save money.

This is a decoupling cap and it's voltage rating is not critical.