Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Ceramic Heating Element

DC15

Nov 10, 2017
Hey there

This may be a repeat question, but I'm looking for some help. I'm trying to heat a small ceramic heating element with a battery. At first I figured a 9V would work, but it just didn't get hot enough. What kind of batteries should I use? I mean I see battery powered vape pens with ceramic heating elements and I thought those only use 3.7V batteries? Is there some sort of booster I need? Where I am missing the point folks? Are there any other DIY battery powered heating elements you folks have developed you wouldn't mind discussing?

Alec_t

Jul 7, 2015
Welcome to EP!
We need more information to provide meaningful help.
What are the heating element specifications (resistance, wattage)?
What temperature are you trying to reach?
What are you heating with the element?
Is the heated object/medium surrounded by thermal insulation?

kellys_eye

Jun 25, 2010
There are battery-powered soldering irons - many versions in fact.

But, AFAIU the vaping heaters require multi-amps from some high-density battery chemistry with the attendant risks involved - and therefore safety measures required.

What you basically do is apply a dead-short across the battery to get the high currents required but a dead-short, unless critically controlled, can result in fire and/or explosion.

If you're considering building a vaper, consider again. But since you're vague (at the moment) we can't comment any further.

DC15

Nov 10, 2017
I am building a form of vaporizer. It's a new design I'm looking to bring to market. I was hoping to develop a basic heating element for prototyping. I do think I can replicate something like the magic flight box. Obviously for market purposes I will hire someone to develop one.

Can you further explain the use of a dead short? I will be doing research on my own to see if this is something I can develop. I'm currently in the middle of a move and prototyping from home so I'm trying to keep things simple. I would indeed like to remain cautious of fires & explosions, but I definitely am thorough before trying to just hook things up. I'm an engineer and had plenty of incidents simply tinkering as a child to know better. However, would you be able to provide more information on possibly achieving my goal by chance?

DC15

Nov 10, 2017
Thanks this may be helpful to some degree. I'm actually looking into dry herb heaters., thus mentioning the magic flight box. I've looked into a lot of prior designs, I'm looking for a little bit more intermediate information on the electronics side of the heating element, not really the over all design of vape pens because I'm not designing a pen.