Maker Pro
Maker Pro

ceramic wire-wound resistor help

MarineTech

Feb 27, 2013
This is my first post on here I hope you guys can help me. I am an electronics technician for the Marine Corps and I am fixing a 1300 W Sony Power supply for a Cisco router. We don't have schematics for this specific power supply.
Okay to the point I found faulty sandstone or ceramic 10 ohm resistor in this power supply but i don't know the wattage for this resistor and all it says on the top of it is S10 10ΩJ .
So anyone know what the S10 means? is that the wattage or something else. If it helps it also has a C and lightening bolt symbol.

Thanks
Sgt Folta USMC

CocaCola

Apr 7, 2012
You can take a very good educated guess of wattage based on size...

The S10 could be the Wattage might not, but just the same you can always go larger...

My advice is to take measurements, look at similar parts and you will likely narrow the Wattage down real close, now pick the largest that will fit in said space an you should be fine...

If you know the manufacture you might be able to find out what S10 is if you look at the datasheet, might be a rating might be a series...

MarineTech

Feb 27, 2013
Wish I knew what manufacturer it was, any idea what the logo with the lightening bolt is?

shrtrnd

Jan 15, 2010
The only manufacturer I know that uses the 'Sxx' prefix, is SAGE Resistors.
It designates the physical size of the component.
Not familiar with the 'C lightning bolt'
Since this is a Sony device, this is very probably an Asian component manufacturer,
and I'm not familiar with all of their new start-up companies over there.
CocaCola's advice for educated guess based on size is your best bet.
I doubt Sony used SAGE resistors in this unit.
Semper Fi