Maker Pro
Maker Pro

cfi chirps every 50 seconds..

siteli

Jul 22, 2022
I had a storm come through last night, and it shut the electricity off and on in quick succession. Shortly after that I kept hearing a chirping noise, and it was driving me (and my dog) crazy and I couldn't locate it. It kept going off every 50 seconds, and it was a very quick low single chirp. I looked everywhere. Thought it was the smoke detector. Wasn't. I took it outside and still heard the noise. I turned off the breakers in the house, still heard it. Then after I while I tried the CFI and reset them. (2 in the kitchen). It stopped. Then tonight out of nowhere it started again. I reset the CFI and even when I have them off it's still doing it. They are doing it with the power on or off.

Martaine2005

May 12, 2015
Sounds like you mean an audible GFCI (ground fault circuit interrupter)?.
These emit a high pitch tone, not low as you stated. But I suppose different manufacturers may use a low tone.
They are designed to emit a tone when the circuit is interrupted so that you know the fridge freezer is off (example).
I would first unplug all appliances then reset the GFCI’s to eliminate a faulty appliance causing the fault condition.

Martin

siteli

Jul 22, 2022
My bad. I meant GFCI.
It’s not the smoke detector because I took it outside and I still heard it inside the house. Even after I shut the electricity off on the house I still heard it. I’ve reset them also. After I reset the two in the kitchen it stopped for a few hours, then it started again and still is going on every 50 seconds. im going to replace them and see what happens. I’ll update.

siteli

Jul 22, 2022
Ok here’s an update. I turned off all electricity to the house. Replaced a GFCI in the kitchen. As I was doing it I heard it again. So I figured it had to be a low battery warning on something in the house. After 2 hours I pin pointed the culprit. I have a Portable Gas Detector and it was in a drawer in the bottom drawer in the kitchen. I found it in the back of the drawer and with it going off every 50 seconds it was hard to pinpoint the location. All quiet on the Western Front.

Martaine2005

May 12, 2015
Lol.
Even my bad hearing would have homed into a beeping drawer.
Anyway, glad you found the culprit.

Martin

crutschow

May 7, 2021
Even my bad hearing would have homed into a beeping drawer.
Even with good hearing it's hard to determine the location of a short beep that only occurs once every 50 seconds.
I know that it has sometimes taken me an hour or more to pin down the location of a beeping smoke detector with a low battery.

If someone could invent a cheap device that would hone in on the location of such a beep, they could probably make a fortune.

Bluejets

Oct 5, 2014
We chased a reported beeping smoke alarm for a few days on and off in a retirement home.
Never a sound when we were there, except on the last day, mobile phone battery went low.
Old dear was so happy when we found it....that's it , that's it!!!!!!!!!

siteli

Jul 22, 2022
I live in a Tiny House and you have no idea how that sound bounced from the kitchen, bathroom and ceiling. Every chirp I looked like a dog when he heard a cat meow. It was a painful 2 days trying to pinpoint the culprit! Thanks guys for the ear and I hope I gave you a laugh. it sure is peaceful in here now. :)