Maker Pro
Maker Pro

change potentiometer threshold

zmconcepts

Oct 16, 2020
I have a potentiometer that starts at 6k ohms then sweeps up to 10k ohms, I am needing it to control a motorized actuator that uses a 0 ohm to 10k ohm potentiometer, the actuator uses a comparator circuit where the actuator position is controlled relative to the position of the potentiometer, I cannot just replace the 6-10k ohm potentiometer because it is a special style, almost like a tube, and is attached to a board with components in the center of it, is there a device available or circuit that could be built to accommodate this? if not a solution for that, is there a circuit or device available that would allow me to control a servo position with a 6-10k ohm potentiometer that I could then physically mount the 0-10k ohm potentiometer to the servo so the servo would spin it? any input is much appreciated thanks!

zmconcepts

Oct 16, 2020
so basically a circuit that when 6k ohms is appliedto the input, the output would read 0 ohms, then all the way to an input of 10k ohms were the output would be 10k ohms.

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
, I cannot just replace the 6-10k ohm potentiometer because it is a special style, almost like a tube, and is attached to a board with components in the center of it, is there a device available or circuit that could be built to accommodate this?

so how about some photos of this mystery device

Bluejets

Oct 5, 2014
A circuit of the actuator pot input section might be helpful also.

dave9

Mar 5, 2017
I'd guess this was an existing product/mechanism and you just need to clean the pot because it doesn't go down to its' former minimum resistance? Maybe also disassemble and bend a slight amount more tension in the wiper and wipe off the conductive track with a dry paper towel then lube with a light coat of grease.

Otherwise, can you attach a separate pot? You asked, now I ask back, can you or not?
Is there a circuit or device available that would allow me to control a servo position with a 6-10k ohm potentiometer that I could then physically mount the 0-10k ohm potentiometer to the servo so the servo would spin it?

You might be able to couple it with a piece of hose, or if not 1:1 ratio, then calculate the ratio needed and use gears or pulleys and belt(s), "if" the servo has enough torque. If you don't get it just right, pulley/belt that can slip, would be better than gears that take a pot past its end of travel stops and breaks something.

GOOD pictures might help a lot, better posted on an image hosting site and linked here to avoid the image resolution and file size limits that forums usually have.

zmconcepts

Oct 16, 2020
thanks for the fast input guys, I have determined that the potentiometer in question was bad, I was able to find another board with the same style to compare the values of the 2 and the second one appears to be a normal 10k pot on the meter, here it is for fun, center 3 pins are the pot, outer 2 are for an led located on the outside ring to light up a marker on the knob that snaps over the ring. it just says ALPS 614A... thanks again!knob.JPG

zmconcepts

Oct 16, 2020
They were pots, this is what it’s used for, installing the interior from a 2018 Chevy Silverado into a 1995 Silverado, the 2018 hoax controls are all data driven and require a separate hvac control module all of which I could not find a way to even power up, so I went analog with everything, the fan speed pot wired to the input of a pwm motor controller and temp pot went to the mode door actuator input that required 0-12v to change position of the actuator, turned out great!

Attachments

• F348D35F-740C-4762-BB95-A86B981C6020.jpeg
    F348D35F-740C-4762-BB95-A86B981C6020.jpeg
    242.8 KB · Views: 5