Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Changing a remotes button function due to damage

john0101

Aug 30, 2021
Hello,

My Samsung TV remotes rubber button sheet has been damaged and I am hoping you could help me switch one redundant button to the button that is now missing it's rubber top.

More specifically, the problem and my plan is as follows:
  • The rubber sheet of buttons was damaged, leaving one button entirely missing.
  • The button above it is not needed.
  • I would like to alter (using conductive copper tape?) the board of the remote so that when the redundant button is pressed, the remote signals the missing function.

Unfortunately, I have been unable to make sense of the board and am unsure where/how to splice in the new connection.

I have uploaded an image of the board. 1 = the button I wish to use, 2 = the button that is damaged (so I wish to use the function of of 2 when I press button 1). Link = https://imgur.com/a/kX5GpxN

Many thanks for any help

Bluejets

Oct 5, 2014
The tip so was you could see the switching arrangement basics.

Besides that, you do realise there are new hybrid remotes out there for probably less than $10.

john0101

Aug 30, 2021
The tip so was you could see the switching arrangement basics.

Besides that, you do realise there are new hybrid remotes out there for probably less than $10.

"Matrix Switching" is only bringing up results regarding a separate device to control multiple things. I've been unable to see the crossover between this and changing my remote.

Yes - I could buy a new one. But I prefer to minimise waste if possible.

bertus

Nov 8, 2019
Hello,

Go to a second hand shop and buy a remote that looks like yours.
Cut out a key and place it on the spot of the defective on in yours.

Bertus

73's de Edd

Aug 21, 2015
Sir john0101 . . . . .

I wonder if the needed pushbutton is being the up volume button ?
OR if he has a kid with OCD and a BUSY fingernail . . . or if a / the family pet done it in ? ? ?

If only the damage to the button was limited to that ONE bad pushbutton molded into the vinyl sheet and did not extend on down and damage any of the / its interleaved contact fingers on the PCB proper that are associated with it.
I submit an inset photo of a Samsung contact pad and have marked up the central contact pad just BECAUSE it is being the most visible. Its YELLOW circle portion has a raised colloidal graphite conductive coating on its contact surface.
Now, considering that the hard graphite / carbon interleaved contact fingers that are fused / fired onto / into the foil traces that route to a connecting foil trace are good on your "spare" pushbutton PCB area..

Now, if being my duck to pluck . . . . I would be taking a NEW razor blade and be cutting out the BAD pushbuttons SURROUNDING square vinyl pad , such as I have marked up as a YELLOW square outline on the good pad as shown. Notice that its cut is large enough so that a small right angle lip is left on all 4 sides and corners.
Then use its cut-out vinyl bad pad as a pattern to then cut out a same size duplicate square in the GOOD numbers vinyl .
Then the good and bad vinyl cut out pads get swapped out.
The squares surrounding lips should be held in place by the cross slats of the pressure of the cut out slots top plastic cover plate against them, thereby having them not just . . . . . fall out.

Considering all of my past attempts, I hardly know of any adhesive that will REALLY melt and re fuse together a vinyl seam. . . . . since both vinyl ( and . . . forbid . . . should the sheet be silicone "rubber" ) always seem to to continually and minutely " weep out" a wetting agent to its surface , until they are being 20 yrs old "dried out "

Fix up the bad pad so no contaminants can get down into the remote . . . with time.

What say ye . . .?

MARTIN . . . . . . . he has NO button left there in that needed position to work with

Visual Referencing . . . . .
upload_2021-9-1_7-34-3.png

73's de Edd . . . . .

Every day, thousands of innocent plants are being killed by vegetarians.
Help end that violence . . . . . . . . . eat Bacon.

Last edited: