Maker Pro
Maker Pro

changing amperage

Mohamed_white_side

Feb 6, 2011
if a modem for example needs 0.8A ... and i replaced it with a cable of 1A ...
but with the same Tension in both cases ...
whats gonna be the difference ?

Transistor

Jan 28, 2011
re:

In this case I don't think it would make a huge difference... but don't expect that modem to last very long. The higher amps even if slight will wear on the componenets quicker... at least thats what my logic tells me...

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
Transistor: Your logic is wrong.

shrtrnd: Maybe the OP meant "Voltage"?

shrtrnd

Jan 15, 2010
*steve*, Yeah, I kinda figured that's what he/she meant. I was wondering what kind of
class the person was taking, that would use that term. Physics maybe?

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
shrtrnd: I'd say it's a language issue.

Mohamed: I think your native language is not English. Some of your words seem wrong. I am not sure exactly what you mean.

Do you mean: Replacing a cable with one that can handle a higher current?

or

Replacing the power supply with one of the same voltage but able to supply a higher current?

Both are safe.

You would expect normal operation. The device being powered will only draw as much current as it needs.

Mohamed_white_side

Feb 6, 2011
Sorry about My English , it's not my native language , and I'm trying to improve it actually .

Well , what I meant is , I have a modem supplied by a cable of 0.8 A , and I changed this cable by an other one with 1 Ampere , but the voltage of the two power supplies is the same .
So , can a small difference in Amperage influences on its performance ?

thank you very much

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
No, as I said above: "You would expect normal operation. The device being powered will only draw as much current as it needs."

A power supply capable of supplying 1A will only deliver 1A if the load demands it. If the load was previously running from a 0.8A supply then it obviously required 0.8A or less. It will draw the same from the larger power supply.