Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Charging Batteries using a Power Supply

Sadlercomfort

Ash
Feb 9, 2013
Hi Guys,

Is it possible to charge two 12v, 7AH lead-acid batteries in series directly off my DC power supply?

I was thinking maybe setting the current limit to about 3A and voltage to about 28-30V.

Thanks,
Ash

Memory_Leak

Oct 27, 2015
I do it all the time with motorcycle batteries. I'd recommend a lower charging voltage, something closer to 15V. Your current limit is probably fine though. Maybe you could look up some similar batteries and see what the manufacturer recommends.

AnalogKid

Jun 10, 2015
SLA batteries frequently have a recommended charging current of C/10. For a 7 Ah battery, that would mean a charging current of 0.7 A. With two identical batteries in series the current would remain at 0.7 A. Of course, the datasheet for your particular batteries might spec a different charging current.

ak

Sadlercomfort

Ash
Feb 9, 2013
I'd recommend a lower charging voltage, something closer to 15V.

Are you sure 15v?

I'm connecting these two in series, so will be a nominal 24v across the two.

For a 7 Ah battery, that would mean a charging current of 0.7 A.

I've attached the datasheet for the battery "NP7-12FR".. I have a bad habbit of forgetting to look at datasheets.

It states the maximum charging current is 1.75A at 14.4V-15V.

So if I charged them at 28V, 1.75V would this be acceptable? The batteries will not be left unattended, so i can keep an eye on them.

Attachments

• 207536 (1).pdf
    98.6 KB · Views: 93

Alec_t

Jul 7, 2015
If the max specified is 1.75A I'd use something less, say 1.5A, hopefully to prolong the life of the batteries.

Memory_Leak

Oct 27, 2015
Are you sure 15v?

I'm connecting these two in series, so will be a nominal 24v across the two.

I've attached the datasheet for the battery "NP7-12FR".. I have a bad habbit of forgetting to look at datasheets.

It states the maximum charging current is 1.75A at 14.4V-15V.

So if I charged them at 28V, 1.75V would this be acceptable? The batteries will not be left unattended, so i can keep an eye on them.

My bad I didn't see that they were in series. In that case your original settings sound fine to me.

Tha fios agaibh

Aug 11, 2014
SLA batteries frequently have a recommended charging current of C/10. For a 7 Ah battery, that would mean a charging current of 0.7
ak

So if 1.75a is recommended, does that mean the charge rate is C/4?
If so, why so different than the C/10 rate that's normally used?

Sadlercomfort

Ash
Feb 9, 2013
So if 1.75a is recommended, does that mean the charge rate is C/4?
If so, why so different than the C/10 rate that's normally used?

Well I guess it just extends the life of the batteries. Perhaps C/10 is the recommended charge rate.

I think the maximum charge rate is ok, but not when the batteries are almost fully charged. A sophisticated charger would charge the battery fairly quickly and limit the current as the battery comes up to full charge.

http://www.homepower.com/articles/s...t-products/ask-experts-battery-charging-rates

Last edited:

Tha fios agaibh

Aug 11, 2014
Well I guess it just extends the life of the batteries. Perhaps C/10 is the recommended charge rate.

I think the maximum charge rate is ok, but not when the batteries are almost fully charged. A sophisticated charger would charge the battery fairly quickly and limit the current as the battery comes up to full charge.

http://www.homepower.com/articles/s...t-products/ask-experts-battery-charging-rates
Thanks but that doesn't really answer my question.
That would be the maximum charge rate that the battery would draw when it's charge is depleted. As the voltage comes up during the charge the current should drop. So as it nears the end of the charge, the voltage will be around 15v and the current will be probably 1/2 amp or less.

HellasTechn

Apr 14, 2013
Hi Guys,

Is it possible to charge two 12v, 7AH lead-acid batteries in series directly off my DC power supply?

I was thinking maybe setting the current limit to about 3A and voltage to about 28-30V.

Thanks,
Ash

Yes you can do that.

What i do is i connect the batteries and slowly raise voltage from 24 volts up untill i get a reading of about 500ma at my amp meter (usually reach 26volts 13 volt per battery). then i use the current limiter set around 500-600ma.

Remember the less charge current the better for battery lifespan.

Pulse chargeing is the best i think but since you dont have such charger...

AnalogKid

Jun 10, 2015
So if 1.75a is recommended, does that mean the charge rate is C/4? If so, why so different than the C/10 rate that's normally used?

There are different variations of internal construction that make different manufacturers products...different. Note that "frequently" and "recommended" are qualifiers covering hundreds of products from dozens of manufacturers, not absolutes.

The data sheet lists the max. charge rate. To Alex's excellent advice in post #5 I'll add the only applicable part of the article in post #11 - proper charging of an SLA battery requires a multi-step charging algorithm. Linear Tech makes excellent single-chips controllers for this. Maxim and Unitrode also make SLA charger controllers.

ak

Last edited: