Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Chauvet DJ's DMX-RT playback problems

erwinredl

Sep 12, 2022
Hi there,

I've been using several Chauvet DJ's DMX-RT devices without any problems for several years. I just bought two recently, and they are having problems to play back DMX light sequences correctly...

Recording works, and I've set them to loop on startup. They loop once, twice, or several times but then suddenly stop the playback in the middle of a sequence. I've tried different micro SD cards all class 10, reformatted the cards FAT32 with different allocation unit sizes, etc. Nothing seems to help...

I've contacted Chauvet but they didn't have much of an explanation...

Anybody out there with advice?

Thank you for your help in advance!

Erwin

kellys_eye

Jun 25, 2010
Power supply glitches could be problematic. Any other switching devices nearby/attached? Is the PSU suitably rated etc.

erwinredl

Sep 12, 2022
PS: Even considering potential power outages, the unit is set to play at start-up and loop "forever"...

Martaine2005

May 12, 2015
Have you tried isolating the problem?.
Only one unit connected without SDcard and then with a card and scene. Then the other unit on its own with same tests. Then repeat but swap external power supplies. Repeat again with different DMX cables.

Martin

erwinredl

Sep 12, 2022
Have you tried isolating the problem?.
Only one unit connected without SDcard and then with a card and scene. Then the other unit on its own with same tests. Then repeat but swap external power supplies. Repeat again with different DMX cables.

Martin
It's the unit itself as the digital display which normally shows a constantly updating timer when playing correctly suddenly stops displaying the timer and shows flashing hyphens...
Cables OK (tested), power supply OK (tested with several, much stronger supplies)

kellys_eye

Jun 25, 2010
Clearly you're going to have to 'go in'....... if it's anything like any typical modern electronics it'll revolve around changing dud capacitors on the supply rails (electrolytics). Without resorting to professional test equipment just changing all the 'usual suspects' will be the only real effective (potential) fix.

erwinredl

Sep 12, 2022
Clearly you're going to have to 'go in'....... if it's anything like any typical modern electronics it'll revolve around changing dud capacitors on the supply rails (electrolytics). Without resorting to professional test equipment just changing all the 'usual suspects' will be the only real effective (potential) fix.
Still under warranty so I'll return the units...

Martaine2005

May 12, 2015
Good idea. Possibility that they had a bad batch during manufacturing.

Martin

IQLX

Jan 29, 2023
Hi
Just came across this post and interesting enough Ive had the same problem with the DMX-RT.
All setting triple checked, all parameters updated and changed to ensure no dud or corrupt file - the system runs correctly each and every time when given short triggers (so it plays only a few cycles), any long trigger will cause the device to freeze and then requires a reboot to work again.
FYI Ive had several industry lighting experts also check the device and do their own programming and settings, and once again the device does the same.
As you mentioned maybe a dud batch.
Yet to get a respond from Chauvet.... Keen to hear if you've had any luck rectifying the issue please.
BUYER BEWARE!
IQ

erwinredl

Sep 12, 2022
Hi,

Sorry to hear you are experiencing the same problems but not really surprised. I've been in touch with Chauvet and got two replacement units. The replacements failed exactly the same way unfortunately. They've sent another two units I have yet to test but I simply don't trust the product anymore because just recently another unit failed at a client's installation.

I am currently evaluating products from DMX4all out of Germany:
https://shop.dmx4all.de/de/dmx-player-xs.html
https://shop.dmx4all.de/de/dmx-player-l-mk2.html

Cheers,

Erwin