Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Cheap Induction Heat Units

RonL

Jun 3, 2020
My first post, so bear with me if anything is wrong.

https://www.banggood.com/2500W-50A-...ml?rmmds=home-recommendation&cur_warehouse=CN
I have several smaller units and am considering getting two of these above, or one of more complete assembly, as follows below.

https://www.banggood.com/2800W-AC11...s=detail-left-hotproducts__7&cur_warehouse=CN

I have several options for supply power but have a question in regard to the magnetic field of two units if they are designed in such a manner that they each surround the same crucible.

shrtrnd

Jan 15, 2010
I don't know your application, but I've never worked on an induction heating unit that used more than a single heating
element. That might mean there's a practical reason why it isn't done. (interference maybe with one another).
Maybe someone else here can offer some insight. I could be wrong about this.

RonL

Jun 3, 2020
I don't know your application, but I've never worked on an induction heating unit that used more than a single heating
element. That might mean there's a practical reason why it isn't done. (interference maybe with one another).
Maybe someone else here can offer some insight. I could be wrong about this.
My thought was to have two power units 180 degrees apart and the two heat elements (six rings each) would have the rings spread apart enough that they would intermesh and be a twelve ring heat element powered by the two power units.
But after thinking about it, I agree with you about the interference of the magnetic fields.
I did find out I can buy crucibles that are more than 150mm tall, that will be enough to have one induction coil heating the bottom half and the other heating the top half. The metals I'm interested in are, lead, solder, aluminum, copper, and gold, on a small scale as in assaying samples.
The amount of control these units offer, once a person learns the setup, seems to be of most interest to me.

RonL

Jun 3, 2020
This is a picture of one of the induction units if anyone is having trouble opening the links.
I can't seem to get it to stay up, guess it is a size issue, I better check the rules of the forum.

RonL

Jun 3, 2020
Another attempt at getting a picture uploaded.
upload_2020-6-5_16-27-21.png

Success at last :)

RonL

Jun 3, 2020
My intended arrangement for heating a single crucible
upload_2020-6-5_17-27-49.png
Does anyone know if and why the coils won't work like this, they will be liquid-cooled and can be reshaped as needed.
I can go larger in diameter and place a support for holding a heavier melt if needed.
An ultimate goal is to mount on a base plate that will allow for pouring by tilting the entire assembly and pour the hot metal into a mold, without handling the crucible with tongs.

Any thoughts, feel free to speak up.
Thanks

whiteoutage

Jul 20, 2017
My intended arrangement for heating a single crucible
View attachment 48460
Does anyone know if and why the coils won't work like this, they will be liquid-cooled and can be reshaped as needed.
I can go larger in diameter and place a support for holding a heavier melt if needed.
An ultimate goal is to mount on a base plate that will allow for pouring by tilting the entire assembly and pour the hot metal into a mold, without handling the crucible with tongs.

Any thoughts, feel free to speak up.
Thanks

whiteoutage

Jul 20, 2017
I thought of same idea use the 2.5kw zvs induction melters. Have you found any corroborating evidence?

Last edited:

Technomaniac

Oct 31, 2020
I thought that maybe you could monitor the current drawn by one unit while slowly bringing the other into proximity. Depending on the board design, it could be that they will come into sync with each other when the coils are magnetically coupled.