Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Cheap sensor for nearby tagged namecard

Bijan Vakili

Feb 21, 2015
Question: is there a cheap (less than $100 or so) way to sense (e.g. wirelessly through some radio technology) a nearby (e.g. ideally up to 15 feet in any direction but minimum up to 3 feet) tagged (e.g. via RFID passive or other means) namecard (e.g. as in ~3.5 x ~3.5 inch plastic card)?

I cannot use bluetooth low-energy because the form-factor is too large; it cannot be attached to a namecard.
I cannot use Wifi for the same reason as the bluetooth; that is, the form factor is still too large; although companies like Navizon have made the form factor quite small, ideally I'm looking for something like passive-RFID tags that are sticker-like but can be detected from few feet or up to 15 feet away.

I cannot use RFID readers (at least not any that I found on the internet) since the cost is way too much; the readers are several hundred dollars and the set-up is quite involved; ideally, looking for a USB-enabled reader that is easy to set-up; though this is not a hard restriction, rather a preference.

I am open to custom making the module; my use case is to just test if the tagged object is in vicinity or not; a simple binary yes or no; and I'd appreciate any feedback in perhaps doing this myself (DIY) if a product doesn't already exist. So if you have ideas, please share them (though I'm more in software than hardware, I can research your ideas to implement it.)

Attached image shows the context for the use case. And the form factor of the tags are similar to RFID passive tags ( https://t.seebgroup.com/rfid-passive-tag ); and the base reader is not too expensive ( e.g. less that $100) and the tags are cheap too (less than $10).

Thank you in advance for your help.
I'm blogging about my search for this item here: https://bvakili.com/blog/-/blogs/simple-small-thin-radio-transmitter
In case I find it through other means, I will surely do my best to come back and update this post; however, that blog post will have latest information as I find them.

Attachments

• context.png
    context.png
    43.9 KB · Views: 116

Bijan Vakili

Feb 21, 2015
Hi Adam, thanks for your response question.

Sense whether attendant is at the desk. Think like building-lobby desk-clerk status. Currently I can workaround like this: clerk can use a webapp to give status ("I am at my desk" or "I am away from my desk") so guests can check when someone's at the desk; or when someone has left the desk vacant. This is to automate status process; so clerk doesn't have to manually.

Arouse1973

Adam
Dec 18, 2013
Ok so you want some sort of proximity detector for the people at the desk?
cheers
Adam

Bijan Vakili

Feb 21, 2015
Yes sir; and as simple as possible. Ideally something they don't care notice; e.g. as part of "smart" namecard/something.

Bijan Vakili

Feb 21, 2015
Ok so you want some sort of proximity detector for the people at the desk?
cheers
Adam
Adam, "proximity detector" , thanks! This phrase has provided some great results: already, I've come across some good posts:

http://electronics.stackexchange.co...ective-proximity-sensors-for-detecting-people

I had researched the terminology; but seems I did not get the terms right; in end I thought the right terms are: "sensor tag" but that's usually used in RFID domain.

I will research further and post here. In the meanwhile, thanks so much for your help!