Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Cheapest bank checks?

primuspaul

Feb 7, 2018
My bank (Bank of America) wants a lot for a new set of checks. What's a cheap place to get some basic checks for a little $?

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
My bank (Bank of America) wants a lot for a new set of checks. What's a cheap place to get some basic checks for a little $?

you still use a cheque book ? WOW
I gave up on them 15 yrs ago

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
Yeah it's an American thing. Like imperial measurements. They have such a fondness for their old English masters that they are loath to reject these practices. They stedfastly hold to the old ways. :-D

primuspaul

Feb 7, 2018
What do you mean? I don't use them very often, but not everyone accepts online payments. Some government organizations still operate in ways that make check writing the most practical way of payment. Some don't offer electronic payments conveniently and other charge a convenience fee.

Alec_t

Jul 7, 2015
Surely cheques other than those from Bank of America won't work for debiting your Bank of America account?

kellys_eye

Jun 25, 2010
Show me a link to any site that doesn't take electronic payment. I want it for 'posterity sake'.....

I admit to using checks (infrequently) but only to sources that I want to 'deliberately' delay payments to! The 'oh, I forgot to sign it/date it/write the amount/lost in the post...' method can still be useful at times ;)

ChosunOne

Jun 20, 2010

Maybe "draw" them.

I think Bluejets was being funny, but he actually has a point:
You might try taking one of your purchased checks and covering all the references to the check number. I've done something similar by taping a small rectangle of paper over an item with invisible tape that doesn't show up on a copy.

Copy that on a good color printer. On the copy, carefully draw in the slots needed to enter the check number and you will have a "blank" check with no check number.

Copy the copy (on a good printer), and you have two blank checks. Repeat until you have as many checks as you can fit on standard size copy paper, probably 6 or 8: Now you can print your checks by the page.

You just have to remember to fill in the check numbers, carefully, so that a scanner can read the number. I think banks don't like it when a check shows up without a check number.

kellys_eye

Jun 25, 2010
A cheque (check) can be written on 'anything' - literally - so design and print your own! Use your imagination - be innovative or be 'cheeky'!!

I used to print them for my son (25+ years ago now! - he's 30 this year) for him to play 'shop' with but, obviously, used fabricated numbers!

Minder

Apr 24, 2015
Yeah it's an American thing. Like imperial measurements.

Except the Pint,!

And to me they are cheques for which I can't remember the last time I issued one!
One of my banks does not have any physical branches, on-line only.!
M.

primuspaul

Feb 7, 2018
I think Bluejets was being funny, but he actually has a point:
You might try taking one of your purchased checks and covering all the references to the check number. I've done something similar by taping a small rectangle of paper over an item with invisible tape that doesn't show up on a copy.

Copy that on a good color printer. On the copy, carefully draw in the slots needed to enter the check number and you will have a "blank" check with no check number.

Copy the copy (on a good printer), and you have two blank checks. Repeat until you have as many checks as you can fit on standard size copy paper, probably 6 or 8: Now you can print your checks by the page.

You just have to remember to fill in the check numbers, carefully, so that a scanner can read the number. I think banks don't like it when a check shows up without a check number.
I think the issue is the magnetic ink, and that's far too expensive to buy for DIY. I bought some checks from a company owned by Harland Clarke. Should be OK. Checks are good if you go to court to pay a fine, for example. That way you don't have to worry about carrying cash and you have proof they cashed it from your bank statement. I'm also seen government websites that accept checks, but the system is down, so your only option is a paper check.

ChosunOne

Jun 20, 2010
I think the issue is the magnetic ink, and that's far too expensive to buy for DIY. I bought some checks from a company owned by Harland Clarke. Should be OK. Checks are good if you go to court to pay a fine, for example. That way you don't have to worry about carrying cash and you have proof they cashed it from your bank statement. I'm also seen government websites that accept checks, but the system is down, so your only option is a paper check.

A cheque (check) can be written on 'anything' - literally - so design and print your own! Use your imagination - be innovative or be 'cheeky'!!

I used to print them for my son (25+ years ago now! - he's 30 this year) for him to play 'shop' with but, obviously, used fabricated numbers!

I'd heard (and forgotten) what kellys eye said, many years ago. I searched it on the 'Net and he's right: Any check is legal as long as it contains the relevant information. Not having magnetic ink simply means that it will probably be spit out by a scanner somewhere and processed by a person, along with many other checks that couldn't be scanned for some reason.

https://money.cnn.com/2001/03/22/living/q_bankrate/

Come to think of it, I've probably had any number of checks rejected by scanners (but not banks) because I have a lot of magnets lying around. I'm conscientious about not putting my credit/debit/ID cards next to one, but I've never thought about checks.

I proposed copying one of your existing checks because I'm lazy and not especially artistic

HarryA

Jan 22, 2017
You can get checks through Wal-Mart; the best price I found. I still have to do quarterly returns to the IRS by checks.