Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Choosing the right device & circuit to convert DC to AC?

Ilya

Aug 3, 2016
Hi everyone,

I am not very experienced with electronics, but my project requires to purchase/build a device that:
1. Will convert a DC signal of few volts to AC signal of few volts.
2. Will have a frequency in the range 50kHz - 170kHz (variable frequency preferred).
3. Will generate a clean and stable square or sine wave of the specified frequency.
4. Will work with power of at least 10W.
5. Is compact and lightweight.

The closest devices I found were oscillator circuits and multivibrators, but there are many types and many ways to build them into a circuit. Could anyone recommend a device and circuit that will best satisfy the above requirements?

Thank you so much!

Last edited:

dorke

Jun 20, 2015
Welcome to EP.

What you need is called a "power Inverter".

But your requirements are not defined properly.
1.What are you going to power with it? at what voltage?
2.There is a great difference between square and sine wave ,what should it be?
3.Define clean and stable in numerical quantities.

Last edited:

hevans1944

Hop - AC8NS
Jun 21, 2012
Yeah, @dorke is on the right track with his questions. Let's cut to the chase: tell us what you are trying to DO and we will offer advice and/or suggestions on HOW to do it. Maybe something like this:

So, I found this really neat thermopile that produces at least 10 W of DC power when I place it on top of my gas grill and turn the heat way up. It's pretty low voltage though, only about 3 V when I place a one ohm resistor across the output. I wanna use this as a power source for a variable-frequency piezoelectric transducer that I hope will annoy mosquitoes and keep 'em away from my next barbecue cook-out. Pleez help quik cuz summer is fading fast!

Sunnysky

Jul 15, 2016
upload_2016-8-3_21-18-52.png
74LVC14A
Here is your square wave signal with variable R in series with fixed R to give f range required using datasheet for a suitable C value.

You will need high side and low side MOSFET switches to transfer DC power into AC power..

10W at a few volts needs a few amps with a 1Ω load e.g. 3.3V * 3.3A with DC
with AC and load connected to + or - we only transfer have the power so you can choose 0.5Ω load for 6.7A or use a "half-bridges" with dual complmentary gate drivers. If the load is 500mΩ then you will want the driver switch to be <5% of load for efficiency or < 25mΩ

This is just one way