Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Circuit board for light fixture

Steph32

May 21, 2014
I have a small over head light and desk lamp that I would like to hook up in a way that I could turn them both on and off in the same place. Currently they have the "wheel" switches. I was wondering if there was a way in which I could hook these up to a circuit board so that I only had to press a button to turn them on. And if so, how I might go about doing this. Also wanted to, in the same space (possibly on the same board) hook up a computer monitor/TV screen's input, volume, and brightness. I intend on using the same display for a computer, xbox, PS3 and also as an additional display for my laptop.

shrtrnd

Jan 15, 2010
Don't know the level of your fabrication abilities.
You can replace the two separate wheel switches with a single push-button or toggle switch that will accomodate both power cords on separate (or even a parallel) circuit.
I strongly suggest you reconsider putting line-powered voltage on the same board as low-powered audio/video signals. Aside from safety issues, the close proximity of power to signal wires might cause interference with the signal wires.
Replacing the wheel switches with a diffeent type of swtch would not necessarily require the use of it's own circuit board.
Have you looked into a commercially available switching system for your gaming systems, or are you wanting to do this as a do-it-yourself hobby project?
We can offer more specific advice if you can tell us the level of your electronic fabrication skills.

Steph32

May 21, 2014
I had a feeling the voltage would be an issue. And the idea for the lights was not so that I could turn them on at the same time but rather that I didn't have to climb under my desk in order to turn either of them on. I've never done any sort of electronics project before. However I am going into my 3rd year of computer engineering and have done quite a bit of work designing circuits and programming boards. Mostly I was hoping this could be a DIY project.