Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Circuit Simulator program request [HELP]

Ted

Mar 27, 2012
Hello everyone! I have been searching for quite some time for a circuit simulator program that is more into the graphical side rather than the schematics.
Eg; one that has an option to add things like LED's and when electricity is flowing it turns on or similar.

I am new to electronics and want to have a fiddle around, I cannot buy any electronics myself to fiddle with so I was looking for a program that does it instead.

Im not sure if one exists but if you know of one that fits the description (even vagely) could you please point me in the direction of it? - Also if you don't understand what I am on about ask me about what I'm going on about. :)

Thank you all very much!
Hope to see you all around soon!

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
You need to understand the limits of simulation.

Most simulators will happily simulate a small LED carrying 100A, where 1% of that might make the smoke come out of a real one.

There really is no substitute for hands-on knowledge.

Having said that, here is an on-line simulator that has the annoying habit (to me) of changing LEDs from their circuit symbol to a representation of a LED that lights up. It may be what you're after.

Ted

Mar 27, 2012
Thank you (*steve*), that is sort of what I am after I suppose that's the only one of its kind?

I'm not getting hands on experiance yet because I am going on a long holiday soon and wont bother until I get back... I also need to find a shop that sells these things! (or maybe I have to shop online?)

I shall have a look at it in more depth tomorrow as I'm about to go to bed now.

GreenGiant

Feb 9, 2012
The problem you are going to run into is the more realistic the tests and visualizations the more expensive the programs will be
For example there are some free programs like Pspice that will run things, but will only show data points, it wont show lit LED's and things like that
But then you have National Instruments Multisim which is in the thousands for the full version but that has working test equipment and LEDs that light up when they are supposed to etc (there is a student version but you need to meet certain requirements to get it)

jackorocko

Apr 4, 2010
Multisim will do this. You can find free copies if you look around.

proteus also has animated models.

twister

Feb 12, 2012
You need to understand the limits of simulation.

Most simulators will happily simulate a small LED carrying 100A, where 1% of that might make the smoke come out of a real one.

There really is no substitute for hands-on knowledge.

Having said that, here is an on-line simulator that has the annoying habit (to me) of changing LEDs from their circuit symbol to a representation of a LED that lights up. It may be what you're after.

Thanks Steve, for that link. How do you save a schematic that you have made?

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
Thanks Steve, for that link. How do you save a schematic that you have made?

I think there's an export and an import function.

Honestly, I rarely need to save the tiny simulations I do with this tool. Generally I just print the screen to show someone. It sorta serves as a quick and dirty schematic drawer too :D

Ted

Mar 27, 2012
Thank you very much everyone for all the help! I shall try those programs you recommended now. :)!