Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Circuit to hold accessories on after ignition is switched off

Mjr350

Sep 22, 2015
Hi guys.
As the title says, im after a circuit that will keep 12v power to the ignition accessories after the ignition key is turned off snd only turn off when the door is opened so that i can still wind up the power windows without having to turn the ignition accessories back on again.
My old car had this feature and it was great but my new car doesn't and its bugging me

I thought about Arduino but a reply on the Arduino forum states

"This is not a job for an Arduino.
It requires one automotive relay, a diode, a FET and a couple of resistors.
And a switch to disable the function."

Can somone with the knowledge and experienceplease throw me in the right direction.
Opening the door can either ground the circuit or feed it 12v from the interior light. What ever is easiest.
Cheers in advanced.

shrtrnd

Jan 15, 2010
Have you tried talking to the dealer parts dept?
They probably have, or can tell you where to get the proper ignition switch that has a position to energize the accessories without turning-on the igniton.

Martaine2005

May 12, 2015
Hi, Mjr350
You didn't say what model vehicle it is. Or the old vehicle.
1st question that springs to mind is:
Is there a model of your new car that has those options?
If yes, you could probably buy a new ECU or find one from a wreckers / insurance breakers yard.
And the additional components needed.

Experience tells me that most, if not all the wiring connectors will already be in place on the loom.
Have a look for the wiring diagram of the model that does have those options and then check yours.

Martin

Mjr350

Sep 22, 2015
Old car was a 2004 vy commodore. New car is a 2000 GU Patrol. The later model patrols do have this function but totally different series.
Ive search high and low and no one knows if there's an add on or not.
Id love to build a circuit even if it just powers the window circuit. I don't need the radio to stay on.
Also the price to buy a new ECU totally blows the idea out of the water.

Mjr350

Sep 22, 2015
You my friend are a legend. I'll get the breadboard out and ser how I go. Cheers