Maker Pro
Maker Pro

circuit wiring help please

sammyboy

Aug 11, 2011
Hi

Im new to the forum so im not sure this is in the right section but im needing some help with my project-
It consists of 240v power in to a 12v power adaptor then to 5 motors, each motor is turned on after the next one using a mini switch, after the motor has turned to its finishing position it triggers the mini switch to start the next motor and likewise until the last motor will trigger a warning lamp light and that will stay on until the circuit is reversed.
I have have 3 pin mini switches which i guess are the ones i need and i can roughly work out how to wire it one way but im hoping to have one switch that can power it both ways, meaning for example a push switch that activates the circuit one way when pushed once and at the completion of the circuit the same switch when pushed will reverse the circuit.

Really hope someone can help.
sam

sammyboy

Aug 11, 2011
The motors will be turning a disc and the disc will have some kind of notch on it that will compress the micro switch which will send current to the next motor.

The sequence will stop after the fifth and last motor as the current will stay with the bulb at the end of the circuit.

Would like to be able to press the same push button switch to reverse the sequence (but thinking about it a 3 way switch i guess will be alot easier to do), starting with the bulb going off and the current being sent back to the last motor (now the first motor) and the polarity switched so hopefully resulting in the motor turning the opposite way.

Then micro switches fitted back to back with the other micro switches that sent the motors one way will now send the current along after each turning sequence the other way.

So in total i have 5 motors, 10 micro switches, 1 bulb and 1 12v power adaptor.

Really hope that makes sense and can understand what im trying to do.

sammyboy

Aug 11, 2011
hi

i´ll try to explain it another way-

Take a 10cm dia rod thats lets say 100cm long (all in your mind i guess, not good with computer drawing programs), slice it into 5 pieces embed a motor into the top of each section so just the motor shaft sticks out, then the motor shaft should be slotted into the next section. so the whole thing is back together with a motor between each section. The shafts of the motors are slotted right down the middle axis of the rod.

I want to able to flick or press a switch to turn on the first motor so the first section will turn to a total of 180 degrees then stop and trigger the next motor to do the same with the next section of rod until all sections have turned 180 degrees and a bulb at the end tells me this has happened.

Then i want to be able to press the switch again and the whole process reverses itself until back to the start with no light on.

Hope that makes better sense.

daddles

Jun 10, 2011
If you want to communicate technical stuff, learn to sketch things on a piece of paper with a pencil. Then take a picture of it and post that. No need for any fancy computer drawing programs. If you're unsure of how to sketch, go buy a used book on drafting for a few dollars and teach yourself the basics. Any scientist, engineer, or technician should know how to sketch, so your learning time won't be wasted.

sammyboy

Aug 11, 2011
here is a rough drawing of the mechanics of it. done by a friend.

Attachments

• drawing.png
    drawing.png
    27.2 KB · Views: 213

sammyboy

Aug 11, 2011
At the flick of the switch the first section will stay still and drive the next section 180 degrees then that section will drive the next section after its completed its 180 degree rotation so on and so forth until the forth motor has stopped and turned on the bulb.

With a flick of the switch again the whole sequence will be reversed, so back to its original state.

Was thinking two micro switches on each section are needed due to it needing to rotate in both directions.

So then im guessing to 5 pin relays are also needed at each section to manage the flow of current.

The micro switches and relays will all be inside the rod so from the outside it will just look like a rod.

So each section will have inside if needed 2 relays and 2 micro switches.

yes the switches can run in a groove of the section its turning.

TBennettcc

Dec 4, 2010
Is there any particular reason you want this done exactly as described? Can you describe just the end effect you want? Maybe one of us here can come up with a better solution, or a different way of doing it?

For your way of doing this, do all of the cylindrical pieces of wood have to be touching each other, as if it were one big, long cylinder? Or can they each be separated by air space? How do you intend on getting all of this wiring inside these cylinders?

Merlin3189

Aug 4, 2011
To the Superuser Bennett
I've got a suggestion for this problem. As it is a project, I'm not sure how much too say. So these are my ideas: pass on as much as you think appropriate, if anything.

I make no comment on the mechanical arrangement - his diagram doesn't really tell me enough of what he wants.

Each motor controls power supply to the next via 2 microswitches. Can be cascaded to any number of motors (within reason - switch resistance might build up.)
First motor is powered from 3 way switch (or 2 way switch plus on/off switch)

2 Microswitches per disc, operated by notch or peg, one switching at 0deg one at 180deg.

Power supplied to first motor by 2 pole 3way switch, which applies either +ve or -ve power at ends and centre off.

Don Brown
[email protected]

Attachments

• MotorDiag.gif
    MotorDiag.gif
    8.1 KB · Views: 202
  • Switch.gif
    Switch.gif
    6.7 KB · Views: 207

Merlin3189

Aug 4, 2011
Motors