Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Circuits to build for a beginner!

Chr1s

Dec 20, 2016
Hi folks,

I'm looking for some advice on practical circuits to build to increase my understanding of passive components such as capacitors, inductors? I understand passive components can have several purposes in a circuit such as decoupling , dc blocking and ac block but I am not sure where to begin and how to setup such circuits to perform these characteristics.

kellys_eye

Jun 25, 2010
Start with a decent book. Whilst most online tutorials are very good there is no escaping a paper-based source of education for repeated referencing to.

Horowitz's book 'The Art of Electronics' has a 'students manual' accompaniment that gives practical examples of component understanding along with a brilliant technical - and easily understood mathematical - coverage to match.

Using that book with a prototyping board and a selection of components you will soon pick up the basics.

The 'resources' sections of this forum is also a good place for starters.

Robert_fay

Jun 15, 2017
Grob's Basic Electronics by Mitchel E. Schultz is one I like to reference.

Nanren888

Nov 8, 2015
So the consenssus seems to be combine study with experiments.
I have to agree that these are great books. There are many out there with older editions online free that vary in terms of the amount of theory.
I started building circuits with only a very basic knowledge, read all the books I could find (pre-internet), then found filling in theory great.
I found those "learn electronics kits" a great option, particulary those ones designed to build multiple circuits to teach electronics, though many will effectively skip inductors.
For capacitors: multivibrators, monostable, astable, also audio amplifier (usually include RC filters), power supply bypass capactitors, 555-timer circuits.
For inductors (you might like to also include transformers), look up "choke" apart form that you sort of get into RF circuits which are a new level of fun, such as LC oscillator, crystal set, simple radios receivers.
It's a good idea of yours to start by learning how the passives work. You might also consider building some simple circuits with the basic active components, BJT, FET, SCR, 555, and look at how the passives contribute to making the circuit go.
Enjoy.