Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Clarifications on the PWM signal

Harald Kapp

Nov 17, 2011
You can get PWM out of AC, if you put a capacitor in the line, you get different amounts of on-off time if u change the capacitance, but the wave isnt a perfect square, its a discharge curve. (a quarter of a harmonic)
I'd love to see a schematic of the circuit that would perform as you say. I strongly doubt this would work as advertised.
You can't solve all your electronic problems by adding capacitors - your favorite component it seems.

Harald Kapp

Nov 17, 2011
when the pwm is high the voltage decreases and when it is low the voltage increases
What do you mean by "pwm is high" and "pwm is low"? A pwm signal is characterized by:
  • amplitude of the signal ("on" voltage)
  • frequency of the signal
  • duty cycle
It helps to use the right terms to arrive at a common understanding.
i put a scope at the point as per post #4 i can only see the pwm signals, i cannot actually see the average voltage applied to the resistor, it is only based on calculations.
That is to be expected.
Does this voltage apply at the end of PWM cycle as shown at the End of Region1 or during the Region1?
Average or rms values always are to be taken with respect to a full period of the signal. In your image this is region 1.
what is the reason for calculating the rms value of pwm signal,
The rms value of any signal, not only sinusoidal or pwm, is by definition the value that would create the same power dissipation as a DC signal of the same value as the rms value. In the case of a pwm signal the usefulness of the rms value depends on the application:
  • use pwm to control the speed of a motor, then the rms is an indicator of the power available to the motor.
  • use pwm to drive an oven, then the rms is an dindicator of the heat the oven will be able to generate.
  • use pwm to drive lighting, then the rms is an indicator of the brightness that can be achieved.

ratstar

Aug 20, 2018
I'd love to see a schematic of the circuit that would perform as you say. I strongly doubt this would work as advertised.
You can't solve all your electronic problems by adding capacitors - your favorite component it seems.

I love capacitors, yes.

The thing I said, I learnt it off applied science, where you can put a capacitor in the line of ac, and then it reduces amps like a resistor, except with a capacitor.

If you did it with a variable capacitor, it would have to be really high frequency PWM, cause the farads are so low on them.

Last edited:

Harald Kapp

Nov 17, 2011
This method uses the reactive impedance of the capacitor to limit the current. The capacitor acts in a way similar to a resistor in this application (similar, not equal, be aware). This has nothing at all to do with pmw!

ratstar

Aug 20, 2018
This method uses the reactive impedance of the capacitor to limit the current. The capacitor acts in a way similar to a resistor in this application (similar, not equal, be aware). This has nothing at all to do with pmw!

Its putting out pulses, the same, I think its similar anyhow...

electronicsLearner77

Jul 2, 2015
This is my understanding of how the pwm will effect the output loads
upload_2020-11-10_17-58-21.png
Sorry for not drawing the waveform properly and if any mistakes. Is my understanding correct?

Harald Kapp

Nov 17, 2011
It will be +3.75 V and +5 V not "-".
Also the voltage will not be constant. The voltage will be pulsed like in the upper trace. The values you wrote will be the effective voltage.

Note that for some applications there will be a difference between applying a pwm signal of an equivalent DC signal. An electric motor for example will develop more torque from a 50 % pwm signal than from an equivalent DC voltage (in your example 2.5 V). This is due to the fact that during the on time a higher voltage is applied resulting in more torque during this period. See e.g. here for more detail.

electronicsLearner77

Jul 2, 2015
It will be +3.75 V and +5 V not "-".
Sorry my mistake i meant only + value.
The values you wrote will be the effective voltage.
Ok, from now on for AC signals i only talk about RMS values as it will help in calculation of power dissipation. Is it ok?
I am trying to understand more about PWM as i am studying about space vector modulation and i could not follow some of the concepts. Can i ask them, since i need to write a detailed mail explaining my queries?

ratstar

Aug 20, 2018
Its easy!!!

PWM is switching hi-voltage on and off to make for less total current, A resistor, is bottlenecking the electricity down a small pipe, to make for less total current.

Two ways to do it.

Audioguru

Sep 24, 2016
Its easy!!!

PWM is switching hi-voltage on and off to make for less total current, A resistor, is bottlenecking the electricity down a small pipe, to make for less total current.

Two ways to do it.
Do you know why PWM is used to reduce the current instead of using a resistor?

ratstar

Aug 20, 2018
I know its handy to have an output without a resistor on it, its good for a power supply, for one thing. other than that I dont know exactly.

ratstar

Aug 20, 2018
It would be cool to do your analogue signals this way because it would be universably repairable analogue information (once analogue info is lost, without knowledge of what the data was representing its impossible to get the loss back.), but ud have to sacrifice hz to do it.

Nanren888

Nov 8, 2015
If you mean you can encode information, including sampled analogue level as pulse width, then yes.