Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Cleaning/lubricating products similar to Deoxit?

TTL

Oct 24, 2013
I'm doing some maintenance/repair of various audio gear:
  • clean switches that don't always work
  • clean/lubricate "scratchy" faders and potmeters
  • clean rotary encodersthat "slip" or "jump"
Similar forum questions always seem to point towards the various Caig Deoxit products, but they're not available here and ordering from the States means rather high shipping costs. Nevertheless I did order a small can of Deoxit F5 (5%) Faderlube for cleaning/lubricating potmeters and faders. I have a couple of questions:

1) I've been told that "Faderlube" is ONLY for faders and potmeters while Deoxit D5 is suited for switches -is this correct? Should I use this for the rotary encoders as well?

2) Which equivalent cleaning products to those of Deoxit are available?
I've found a few cleaners from PRF here which may be suitable, but there are several types and I'm not sure what uses they're for. Suggestions? Are any of these suitable replacements for the Deoxit cleaners?
Kontakt_IPA-107x300.jpg

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
Isopropyl alcohol is great for anything that doesn't have a lubricant on it.

TTL

Oct 24, 2013
Will isopropyl alcohol also remove oxidization? I'm trying to find out what the "magic ingredient" in Deoxit D5 is and Naphtha comes up, which is also found in the PRF TCC (conductive, non-lubricative) contact cleaner, but I don't know if that's what makes people recommend Deoxit or if it has something unique which isn't found in anything else.

So with switches and rotary encoders -should I use something lubricative, or not?

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
It kinda depends on the switch, but mostly on his you apply it. If you're applying something that leaves a residue you should apply it only in the required area. Soraya which leave no residue night have as much of an issue with overspray.