Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Clueless to read capacitor._.

Darth Chauncey

Mar 14, 2021
I'm a newb and not even sure if I am posting correctly, being I am asking a question - but here goes. I purchased a brand new Mobo and upon installing it, my clumsy ass knocked off a capacitor before even getting to USE it! I have searched and hunted for a replacement but to no avail. I could solder it on easily enough althoughI cant understand how to read it so I dont even know what Im looking for.
It says on top;
FP5K
33Cx
as far as I can tell. Can anyone tell me where I might get one or something equivalent? H E L L L P!

bertus

Nov 8, 2019
Hello,

Can you post a picture?
Pictures upto 300 kB are no problem to post.
It could wll be an 820 pF capacitor.

Bertus

Harald Kapp

Nov 17, 2011
According to the datasheet @Hunter64 linked in post #4 this would be a 820 µF capacitor.
A bit funny is the voltage designator "03" as there is no 3 V capacitor in the datasheet. It is possibly rounded off for a 2.5 V capacitor. Would that match the operating voltage present on the capacitor's pins?

hevans1944

Hop - AC8NS
Jun 21, 2012
... Would that match the operating voltage present on the capacitor's pins?
Just guessing, but the self-described newb may not have a clue (or the multimeter) required to measure the voltage drop across the capacitor pins, assuming the damaged cap can be successfully removed from the multi-layer circuit board and a replacement soldered in without damaging the circuit board. I would take the mobo to a computer repair shop and have a skilled technician replace the capacitor.

bertus

Nov 8, 2019
Hello,

The datasheet that @Hunter64 posted shows that there are 6.3 volts capacitors of 820 uF are available.

Bertus

hevans1944

Hop - AC8NS
Jun 21, 2012
According to the datasheet @Hunter64 linked in post #4 this would be a 820 µF capacitor.
A bit funny is the voltage designator "03" as there is no 3 V capacitor in the datasheet. It is possibly rounded off for a 2.5 V capacitor. Would that match the operating voltage present on the capacitor's pins?
The datasheet does say voltages from 2.5 to 25 volts are available, so perhaps 03 really does mean 3 volts.

Since the OP is a self-described newb, it might be better if he took the mobo to a computer service shop to have the electrolytic capacitor removed and replaced. It is easy to damage the vias of a multilayer circuit board while attempting to unsolder and remove defective parts. This is definitely a skilled operation not easily learned or implemented without a vacuum de-soldering station.

Darth Chauncey

Mar 14, 2021
Well Im pretty good with a soldering iron and the capacitor popped off leaving the leads in the board, making it much easier to solder.

Last edited by a moderator:

Darth Chauncey

Mar 14, 2021
Hi again, if anyones listening. Sorry bout my apparent disinterest - which it isnt, instead being busy trying to fix said mobo. I ordered an identical new one and now all I get is boot loop! Lights up, leds on, fans spin.._ and shuts off just to rinse and repeat over and over. Very discouraged. Im thinking maybe my cpu? Power supply?? DMMS??? I dont know what to think but it sure is wearing me down. How can I determine the problem without even seeing 1 single post?

Darth Chauncey

Mar 14, 2021
Thank you so much for your response. It is honestly appreciated and indeed will be utilized, hopefully correctly! I will place no blame, unless I achieve a successful fix. Thanks.

Understand the units of measurement used for capacitors. The base unit of capacitance is the Farad (F). This value is too large to be of use in a circuit. Smaller denominations of capacitance are used by electronic circuits.

• Read uF as microFarad. 1 microFarad is 1 times 10 to the -6 power Farad.
  • Read pF as picoFarad. 1 picoFarad is 1 times 10 to the -12 power Farad.
Read the value directly on larger bodied capacitors. If the surface of the body is large enough, the value will be printed directly on the capacitor. For example, 47 uF indicates 47 microFarads.

Read the capacitance of smaller bodied capacitors as two or three numbers.The designators uF or pF will not appear due to the small size of the capacitor body.

• Read two-digit numbers as being in picoFarads (pF). For example, 47 would be read as 47 pF.
  • Read three-digit numbers as a base capacitance value in picoFarads and a multiplier. The first two digits will indicate the base capacitor value in picoFarads. The third digit will indicate a multiplier to be used on the base number to find the actual value of the capacitor.
  • Use the third digit of 0 through 5 to place the corresponding number of 0s behind the base value. The third digit of 8 means multiplies the base value by .01. The third digit of 9 means to multiply the base value by 0.1. For example, 472 would indicate a 4700 pF capacitor and 479 would indicate a 4.7 pF capacitor.
  • Digit-Character-Digit. Some small capacitors are marked with codes like 1n0. The digits are the values before and after the decimal point and the character tells you the dimension; so the example given is 1.0 nF (nano-Farad).
Look for a letter code. Some capacitors are defined by a three number code followed by a letter. This letter represents the tolerance of the capacitor, meaning how close the actual value of the capacitor can be expected to be to the indicated value of the capacitor. The tolerances are indicated as follows.

• Read B as 0.10 percent.
  • Read C as 0.25 percent.
  • Read D as 0.5 percent.
  • Read E as 0.5 percent. This is a duplication of a D code.
  • Read F as 1 percent.
  • Read G as 2 percent.
  • Read H as 3 percent.
  • Read J as 5 percent.
  • Read K as 10 percent.
  • Read M as 20 percent.
  • Read N as 0.05 percent.
  • Read P as plus 100 percent to minus 0 percent.
  • Read Z as plus 80 percent to minus 20 percent.

Last edited: