Maker Pro
Maker Pro

CMOS??

bigkim100

Apr 17, 2013
Is the prefix LM on a 555 indicate if its is a CMOS version?
Thanks

bertus

Nov 8, 2019
Hello,

The ICM7555 and TLC555 are also CMOS versions.

Bertus

Attachments

• lmc555.pdf
    767.1 KB · Views: 0
  • icm7555-56.pdf
    499 KB · Views: 0
  • tlc555.pdf
    1.3 MB · Views: 0

danadak

Feb 19, 2021
Following may be of interest, attached :

If you want sophisticated timer solutions :

Regards, Dana.

Attachments

• Using The “555” Timer IC In ‘Special’ Or Unusual Circuits _ Nuts & Volts Magazine.pdf
    2.4 MB · Views: 1
  • Forrest Mims - Optoelectronics Circuits.pdf
    4.1 MB · Views: 4
  • 10-LM 555 Timer.pdf
    2.7 MB · Views: 1

bigkim100

Apr 17, 2013
LOL...I love the statement "limited in Accuracy and Capability"
Here is Wikipedias take on this:
555 was designed in 1971 by Hans Camenzind. A favorite for many engineers, the 555 is still in widespread use due to its ease of use, low price, and stability.
there are still BILLIONS sold every year, with hundreds of schematics out that use this chip, and god knows how many manufacturers. I can get a package of 10 for .99 cents, and I myself probably use 100 a year.
"Sophistication" does not equate to better!!
Please dont blow smoke up my Butt, and call it Air Freshener!

bigkim100

Apr 17, 2013
You may now kick my butt out of the forum for being so blunt!

danadak

Feb 19, 2021
LOL...I love the statement "limited in Accuracy and Capability"
Here is Wikipedias take on this:
555 was designed in 1971 by Hans Camenzind. A favorite for many engineers, the 555 is still in widespread use due to its ease of use, low price, and stability.
there are still BILLIONS sold every year, with hundreds of schematics out that use this chip, and god knows how many manufacturers. I can get a package of 10 for .99 cents, and I myself probably use 100 a year.
"Sophistication" does not equate to better!!
Please dont blow smoke up my Butt, and call it Air Freshener!

"limited in Accuracy and Capability"

If you dont care about that its a great chip to use.

But if you want a 21'st century timer, to do something like this, it sucks.

You can do that with vacuum tubes, but I would advise against it. You would probably
need a dirigible hanger to house all the circuits and power supplies to do it.

Curious, can you show a reference that the 555 is still shipped in billions / year ?
Would love to see the facts. "It was said", ref made in wiki page about shipments,
is not a fact.

Funny how fewer and fewer manufacturers and variations being built....

1668103721347.png

Regards, Dana.

Last edited:

bigkim100

Apr 17, 2013
If you dont care about that its a great chip to use.

But if you want a 21'st century timer, to do something like this, it sucks.

You can do that with vacuum tubes, but I would advise against it. You would probably
need a dirigible hanger to house all the circuits and power supplies to do it.

Curious, can you show a reference that the 555 is still shipped in billions / year ?
Would love to see the facts.

Regards, Dana.
"Curious, can you show a reference that the 555 is still shipped in billions / year ?
Would love to see the facts."

Again, Google can be your best friend...Wikipedia quote, cut and pasted:
"it was said that over a billion 555 timers are produced annually by some estimates, and that the design was "probably the most popular integrated circuit ever made".[5]"

Some other place (cut and pasted)
"Introduced in 1971 by the American company Signetics, the 555 is still in widespread use due to its low price, ease of use and stability. It is made by many companies in the original bipolar and low-power CMOS types. According to an estimate, a billion units are manufactured annually. It has been noted as "probably the most popular integrated circuit ever made".[5]"

Here endeth my proof.
Thank you, Kim

p.s-My next project WILL be vacuum -tube based, but thank you for the invite anyways
Thank you,
Kim

danadak

Feb 19, 2021
Now this is what I call serious accuracy (LMC555) :

1668104774055.png

And guess what, thats for a precision ideal timing cap placed on it.
Let me know where I can get some of those :)

Initial accuracy with an electrolytic at just room T probably around +/- 50%.

Dont hear of too many 555 timers in space applications......or life support medical......

Regards, Dana.

danadak

Feb 19, 2021
"Curious, can you show a reference that the 555 is still shipped in billions / year ?
Would love to see the facts."

Again, Google can be your best friend...Wikipedia quote, cut and pasted:
"it was said that over a billion 555 timers are produced annually by some estimates, and that the design was "probably the most popular integrated circuit ever made".[5]"

Some other place (cut and pasted)
"Introduced in 1971 by the American company Signetics, the 555 is still in widespread use due to its low price, ease of use and stability. It is made by many companies in the original bipolar and low-power CMOS types. According to an estimate, a billion units are manufactured annually. It has been noted as "probably the most popular integrated circuit ever made".[5]"

Here endeth my proof.
Thank you, Kim

p.s-My next project WILL be vacuum -tube based, but thank you for the invite anyways
Thank you,
Kim

""it was said ", oh ya, thats a great factoid. Who said it, what background shipping info
did he/she gather, form what vendors......when.....

Regards, Dana.

bigkim100

Apr 17, 2013
dana,
this is a never-ending discussion of me now showing you links to digging up anything other than wikipedia statements, showing you hi-accuracy caps, and resistors.
Your +/- accuracy of 50% is absolutely ridiculous, but I refuse to attempt to spend the time coaxing a already closed mind.
Ill leave it to others, or simply let the case lie.

bigkim100

Apr 17, 2013
""it was said ", oh ya, thats a great factoid. Who said it, what background shipping info
did he/she gather, form what vendors......when.....

Regards, Dana.
Im not here to support/not support wikipedia, Im here to have fun building stuff, as I have for over 50 years, as a hobby, which then became part of a career. Im not here to endlessly support the use of the components I use.
But thank you for your interest.
Kim

danadak

Feb 19, 2021
dana,
this is a never-ending discussion of me now showing you links to digging up anything other than wikipedia statements, showing you hi-accuracy caps, and resistors.
Your +/- accuracy of 50% is absolutely ridiculous, but I refuse to attempt to spend the time coaxing a already closed mind.

The initail tolerance, at room T, on Alum Electrolytics +/- 20% or worse, most offerings.

Many Alum Electrolytic datasheets dont even spec T dependency, its so bad. Check it out.

Then we have this to add on due to T effects, from Vishay or whoever :

1668113888490.png

So doing the math here due to initial tolerance and T effects ~40%. Thats your wonderful
555 timing accuracy, not counting R affects in the RC that sets timing, or the V affects.

Notice the tolerance column in this selector :

Ugh. And in this day and age 10% is awfull.

Enjoy.

Regards, Dana.

Last edited:

danadak

Feb 19, 2021
dana,

Showing me high accuracy .....

Please do, link to cap data sheet you are using ? Must be a little pricy if high accuracy.....

Regards, Dana.

danadak

Feb 19, 2021
Lastly the tolerance on Alum Electrolytics, look at the tolerance column :

1668122788572.png

Regards, Dana.