Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Code to convert a xilinx xc9572 into an 8051

barathbushan

Sep 26, 2009
i have heard that the xilinx chip xc9572 can be emulated into a "generic" 8051 ,
by implementing a code . I don't know much about the development board used (its some mega moon brand with JTAG interface) , if anyone has come across such a vhdl/ verilog/ c code , please provide me the link to it , thanks ;)

Last edited:

barathbushan

Sep 26, 2009
That was very kind of you steve , to google it up , which i already had done and saw the same article from the xilinx archives
in any case google is my first look out , before posting on any forums , but anyways my teacher told me that , he saw such a code on some text book ,but now he is retired and i have lost his contact , so i could not ask him about the code in the text book .

I have the board , i have the chip, i have my computer , i WAS JUST LOOKING FOR THE CODE IN THE TEXT BOOK , not any licensing issues !!!!

also how do you think i came up with the word "EMULATE" , obviously after browsing the article !!!!!!

Last edited:

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
Well, the subtext of the answer is that (at least in 2005) you had to pay them $495 before they would give you the code.

barathbushan

Sep 26, 2009
Well, the subtext of the answer is that (at least in 2005) you had to pay them $495 before they would give you the code.

All i know is the vhdl code i am looking for was printed in some sort of a PRIMER/TEXTBOOK
which my teacher came across , and mentioned it to me while he was talking about the future of hardware description languages and how powerful they are .

i dont think the text book publishers might have paid that amount just to mass publish it !!

i posted this thread , hoping some other guy would have come across the text-book , and might give me the information of that code

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
Look, they're still selling it for $495. I very much doubt that it was ever published in a magazine.

Perhaps you or your teacher misunderstood. Perhaps he said he read about it in a magazine?

barathbushan

Sep 26, 2009
no there was no misunderstanding , he was as clear as a bell , when he talked about implementing an 8051 from xilinx , just to make his point that "anything can be implemented with asic technology" , he CLEARLY MENTIONS about a weekend project using the code from the text .

Last edited:

barathbushan

Sep 26, 2009
my guess about the IP licence is that , it is applicable for industries which mass produce
8051 asic chip's based on the xilinx code , but for standalone or university use , i think it is free .

the same thing happened with xilinx software , the professional one cost a lot , which i couldn't afford , but instead i used their FREE student version , which was enough for me .

Last edited:

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
my guess about the IP licence is that , it is applicable for industries which mass produce
8051 asic chip's based on the xilinx code , but for standalone or university use , i think it is free .

I'd say that what you found (and possibly what you were looking for) is a different product.

But yep, it looks free.

Note that it is not a full implementation, nor does it appear to run on a 9572 (so arguably it's not "code to convert a xilinx xc9572 into an 8051").

The former may not be an issue for you, and the latter is also possibly irrelevant since the 9572 is at least 5 years old.

OK, it would probably be churlish of me not to apologise for suggesting you had your wires crossed. So -- Sorry :)

barathbushan

Sep 26, 2009
the code that i got has some bugs , like not handling the interrups properly , and
slower clock speed , and other things , but it will do for me , anyways no need for apologies steve , thanks for your guidance .