Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Coil winding

dayanj

Sep 16, 2010
I am winding a coil to get a constant magnetic field for my experiments.
I am using a aluminum bobbin and winding insulated copper coil on it, I need ten layers.
I was trying to wind it manually but its hard to get neat winding.
Can someone suggest me any help with this?

someone said I can use epoxy after each layer to keep that layer fixed, has anyone used it like that? if so which type of epoxy?

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
An aluminium bobbin will act as a shorted turn and either shield much of the magnetic field or get really hot and possibly melt (depends if you're using DC or AC).

If the aluminium bobbin is just there to support the windings while you wind them and you plan on removing it, that is OK. Otherwise, find something non-metallic (and non-conductive) to wind the wire on.

Resqueline

Jul 31, 2009
As steve says, using AC with a conductive bobbin makes for a dead short, but using DC it won't matter. I'd put varnish inside the bobbin for extra protection for the wire.

Some people are able to mangle a perfectly straight wire, and some are able to straighten a completely mangled wire. I can't say how & why but it's all in the head & hands.

Tape is often used to fix layers but if you have more time on your hands then the ethanol based Shellaq or a Polyurethane based varnish are the preferred choices.
Of course 5-minute epoxy can also be used but it won't stand as much heat as the wire insulation does without softening & melting during use.

dayanj

Sep 16, 2010
Thanks a lot for your reply, could you please suggest me any commercial name or how to buy those shellaq or varnish for this specific use?

dayanj

Sep 16, 2010
And also can someone help me about how to select a gauge of wire to wind a coil?

Lets say I want to create a coil to give constant 1T magnetic field.

NickS

Apr 6, 2010
And also can someone help me about how to select a gauge of wire to wind a coil?

Lets say I want to create a coil to give constant 1T magnetic field.

What calculations did you use to decide the number of windings and the length of windings? The copper wire size should have been part of that. Also what is your power source?

dayanj

Sep 16, 2010
well I didn't do the calculations myself, someone else handed me over results, i was thinking whether I can use a thinner wire and change the length or turns accordingly(doing calculations again), since this one im using is hard to wind.
I am using DC power supply.

camerart

Aug 18, 2010
I'm no expert.

When I wound some pickup coils, I used tubular Ferromagnetic cores. Put a nut and bolt through, then put in a machine chuck. (drill, lathe etc) Then put a gentle tension on the wire as it winds, this helps to be more consistent.

I think that winding like a basket makes them stronger, and you can let the wire go through Wax to make it stay in position. I actually chose not to do this and use more turns.

I'm fairly sure that the cross section of the windings is best if it is square. (as wide as it is deep)

I found it best to wind too many turns, connect up, and while connected carefully unwind turns till the require strength is achieved, then cut and reconnect.

Hope this helps.

NickS

Apr 6, 2010
Minus the wax that sounds good. For an electromagnet you are pumping DC(unlike a speaker) and it will get hot and melt wax. If you do use something to hold the coils it would preferably be thermally conductive and heat resistant.

camerart

Aug 18, 2010
The wax is to hold the coils till they are sealed. Then I use super glue to hold the windings in place, but there is no heat involved.

I once worked at a motor factory where they soaked the coils in resin and baked them, but the motors were going to be vibrated in use. I presume you will need to search for some sort of glue or resin that can stand the heat expected.

I think this is mainly needed for consistency of coil strength.