Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Coke versus tap water resistance

dragon

Oct 31, 2022
Last time I checked tap water with my multimetre, it was about 20k, and the probe distance didnt matter to it for some strange reason?
It was always that no matter how close they were.

So if you did it with coke, would the co2 in the water increase the electrical conductivity, because acids conduct electricity better than water does, and co2 turns it slightly into acid?

Delta Prime

Jul 29, 2020
Yes it will increase the electrical conductivity of water the carbon dioxide will break down into an weak acid or electrolytic
Solution & in doing so it will emit negative & positively charged ions further increasing the conductivity of water

dragon

Oct 31, 2022
Yeh I finally found it on the internet, it looks to me on a graph for average carbonated water its 5 times more conductive, but im getting a can of coke tomorrow to proove it, and ill put my multimetre resistance reading here.

Delta Prime

Jul 29, 2020
If you mix one-half Coke with one-half tap water you get a Zener Spritzzer.
Somebody get the smelling salts... I think, aunt Martha fainted!
Your zener spritzer. I call it a hurricane . Because it's days before the skys clear. :cool:

Delta Prime

Jul 29, 2020
When working in the 10,000 clean room
We use copious amounts of double distilled water, 10 Mega Ohm's per centimeter square.
For kicks and giggles I decided to Ohm out
The water with my meter, the probes a centimeter apart from each other using a microscope for positioning. It measured 10 Megs, then the resistance started to decrease rapidly. By itself,double distilled water is very good insulator,pure water.
What happened was the double distilled water started to Leach the alloys out of the tips of my probes in doing so made the water itself conductive. It is said that double distilled water has an Infinity for impurities.
I just thought I'd throw it out there.

dragon

Oct 31, 2022
I didn't end up getting the coke (maybe ill get it tomorrow), cause my next door neighbour needed a block of roast almond chocolate, but I tested out vinegar, and its about 5 times more conductive than water, but resistance seems to climb when you put your probes in cause I think they are getting coated with a nano-layer of acetate, so if you are going to work with corrosives you need to use carbon electrodes, perhaps defeating the purpose of some uses of it.

bidrohini

Feb 1, 2023
Will we get an accurate result if we try to measure the resistance of liquid with an ordinary digital multimeter? I think we can get an idea about which liquid has higher resistance than the others. But an accurate result in ohms may not be possible.

dragon

Oct 31, 2022
I dont know why it isnt possible, but it seems to be the same ohmage no matter how far the probes are apart.

But maybe its because its a surface area thing with the probes, not how far it is in the water, for some reason I dont know.