Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Combining a radar detector and smartphone with 1 set of headphones.

ironside32

Mar 20, 2012
I have an idea and I am not sure if it will work. I have started riding a motorcycle to work which is about 2hr round trip. I mounted a radar detector and I use my smartphone to listen to the lex and terry morning show in the a.m. commute. I use a pair of earbuds for the smartphone. My question is: Can I tap into the headphones from the speaker output on the radar and still listen to the smartphone? In other words I need a 2 male to 1 female audio splitter. I have searched the internet and cannot find one. I dont know if combining the two will damage either device or not. Any ideas on how to pull this off or if its possible?

shrtrnd

Jan 15, 2010
Many moons ago in the military, I used to have to monitor multiple communications receivers. We wired the headphones as 'split' headphones, one receiver to the left ear,
the other receiver to the right ear.
I don't know if the configuration was commonly known as 'split headphones', or not
but you might look it up on Google.
Only other suggestion I can think of, if you can't find what you need, is to just use one
phone jack earbud to one ear, and a second isolated phone jack to the other ear.
Do not combine outputs of both devices on the same wire, or sooner or later, something
will give out in the circuitry.

donkey

Feb 26, 2011
I have been thinking about a similiar idea, using an mp3 or similiar device as primary but when the cb radio cuts in i want the mp3 to cut out and then hear the cb broadcast clearly, all automated of course. nothing yet more than an idea

shrtrnd

Jan 15, 2010
I've heard of CB radios made for that purpose. So they're out there.
A lot of truckers listen to entertainment, but want the CB to cut in when somebody
calls. I'd check through CB chat or CB supply places to find something that will
work. I'm sure we could design a circuit for the application, but this is one of those,
'why reinvent the wheel' concepts, that somebody else has already done the leg-work
on.

donkey

Feb 26, 2011
well my theory is that if socket A was primary and played continuously.
if socket b recieved a signal it would then be broadcast. i got the idea in my mind but no idea how to construct it.
but the prinicple would be the same as the first one in this thread. I have even heard people saying they would want 3 plugs one for their phone, but then we are getting way too hard cos you'd have to figure out which is more important

ironside32

Mar 20, 2012
I am thinking a short male to male connector from each into a 2 female 1 male adapter into a female to female connector into the male end of the earbuds. ok I think I have that figured out Now can the power from each device feed into the other device and short circuit something? I am thinking each side will be independant of each other until it reaches the earbuds!? Any thoughts?

BobK

Jan 5, 2010
You can connect two audio outputs together by putting connecting the grounds together and putting each signal through a resistor and finally the two resistors to the headphones. I would start with 33 Ohms and if the volume is not sufficient go down to 15 Ohms or 10 Ohms.

Bob