Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Common FETs

geekygenius

Jan 21, 2013
Hello, I am placing an order for some more components, and I don't seem to have many FETs. I was wondering which ones are common, that I would end up using. All-purpose suggestions would also be appreciated. I am planning to work mostly with audio, so FETs that are suitable for that use would be more useful for me. Basically, I need to know what FETs I should order, so I don't have to worry about not having the right one as much.

Thanks for any help, and sorry if I sound a little new, because I am ;)

Edit: I work with low power audio, nothing going through an amp will reach my circuit.

Last edited:

KrisBlueNZ

Sadly passed away in 2015
Nov 28, 2011
I guess you'll be wanting JFETs. I would see what low-power audio JFETs are available from the company you're buying from.

Which company is that? And where do you live?

There aren't many different types of N-channel small-signal JFETs to choose from.

geekygenius

Jan 21, 2013
I live near Seattle, but I'm ordering from Futurlec because I'm cheap, so I'm not too worried about arrival time. They seem to have a history of taking a while for you order to arrive.

It looks like the 2N and J series MOSFETS are the kinds of JFETs they have.

http://www.futurlec.com/TransMos2N.shtml
http://www.futurlec.com/TransMosJ.shtml

So far, I have the 2SK118 because its general purpose, J201 because I saw it in an audio schematic, and the 2SK170 because its lised as an audio JFET.

Does this look like a good choice? Or should I be getting some others too?

Last edited:

KrisBlueNZ

Sadly passed away in 2015
Nov 28, 2011
Futurelec have a wide range of JFETs! Wider than Digikey or Mouser.
That seems reasonable to me, but that's not an area I have much experience with.
I guess you could Google JFET audio designs and see what other types have been specified.
BTW when I asked where you live, I was trying to imply that you might want to add that information to your profile. It can be useful for others to know where you are, when replying to questions.
Good luck with your JFET audio projects!

geekygenius

Jan 21, 2013
Thanks for the help Kris!

In case anyone is curious, I ended up ordering what I listed above, but I got a few extra 2SK118's to use in place of any JFETs I might need, since they're general purpose. Right now anyways, I mostly just breadboard schematics I find online, so high quality stuff isn't too important to me, and a general purpose JFET should do the job, unless I do something power related.