Maker Pro
Compilation of useful electronics software

Compilation of useful electronics software

Anon_LG

Jun 24, 2014
Lavaguava submitted a new resource:

Compilation of useful electronics software (WORK IN PROGRESS, there is lots of software to add) - This resource will provide list of software that a electronics hobbyist may find useful

This list will contain sites, divided up into several categories that the average electronics hobbyist would find useful. I would appreciate suggestions on sites people have used that they found useful. This list will not include stores of components suppliers - these are contained within another resource, see here. This list will also not include sites - these can be found in another resource, see here. The list...

Read more about this resource...

Anon_LG

Jun 24, 2014
Isn't this the same as Kris's resource: List of EDA packages? It makes it kind of confusing to have two resources on the same subject.
Dan
Thanks for pointing that out , I will provide a link to it in the appropriate section on the software list. However this resource will include all areas of software that an electronics hobbyist will find useful, not just EDA, I am still compiling the list, it may even include software not specifically for electronics but a hobbyist may still find it useful, for example modelling an enclosure or positioning.

Anon_LG

Jun 24, 2014
Yeah, well I would likely not have noticed if you had not said so!

Supercap2F

Mar 22, 2014
You might want to put Design Spark Mechanical in there. Dev C++ and Code Blocks are for programming in C and C++... I don't know if you would want those in there or not. Vim is also kind of handy, but that's getting really off topic. :)
Dan

Anon_LG

Jun 24, 2014
I agree with the addition of Code blocks. I used it to experiment with C++ before I got an Arduino. I will have a look at Dev C++. I will not add Vim for now unless I receive another request for it. Thanks for the suggestions.

Anon_LG

Jun 24, 2014
I may have to scrap this resource or give the ownership to someone else (if that is possible) as I have realised I do not know enough software to make this resource useful. :(

Merlin3189

Aug 4, 2011
Can I offer a suggestion? Soundcard Scope by Christian Zeitnitz.
This is an oscilloscope and a signal generator program which uses the soundcard (obviously!) for I/O.
I've found it easy and useful. Limitations;
soundcard is AC coupled, so you loose DC info.
soundcard is limited to low voltage, low impedance inputs.
There is a simple project and some notes on use at http://makezine.com/projects/sound-card-oscilloscope/ which uses this software.
There is a more complex interface circuit at http://www.instructables.com/id/PC-SOUND-CARD-SCOPE-INTERFACE-FACILITATES-DC-RESTO/

As for your not knowing enough software, surely it's up to members to submit ideas for inclusion?

Last edited:

Anon_LG

Jun 24, 2014
OK, thanks Merlin 3189. I am sorry for the very late reply, I have been busy recently and have forgot to check my resources for some time. I have no experience with oscilloscopes or sound cards, I will have to trust your (and supercap2f's judging by his like) judgement.

I will add it now under miscellaneous.

Thanks,

FuZZ1L0G1C

Mar 25, 2014
For those interested in simulating digital circuits, CAD, signal generation etc, ABACOM Electronics in Germany has demo versions to try out at
http://www.electronic-software-shop.com
I have one of their products, Profilab Expert, which is the digital simulator.
Mine is the full retail licensed DVD version.
Unfortunately, you will need a German-English dictionary (book or online) handy as any error / system messages are in German. Generally, though, the software is great for building from pre-built modules or creating your own. Could use some discrete components, though.