Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Component to cut off current to parts of low power circuit

phoenixyx

Feb 8, 2017
Hi,

I am working on a low power design, and are looking for a component which may cut off current. I need to control this component from an I/O 3V3. And it should switch on/off parts of the circuit (one input and one output.)

Is a normal mosfet the best way to do this?(current peaks up to maybe 1 A, normal current consumption around 80mA)

I have been looking around arrow.com and Mouser.com but are not sure what to search for.(keywords):

Any ideas?

Alec_t

Jul 7, 2015
Welcome to EP!
A MOSFET will do nicely. Look for a 'logic level' type with a Vgs(th) as low as possible (say ~1V).

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
Another option, if you are using voltage regulator to generate the 3v3 rail, is to find regulators with an enable pin and have a separate regulator for each section of circuitry you want to power up and down.

Be aware that even without power the devices may continue to draw power and operate! Many devices will have input protection that will route power from the inputs to the power rail if unpowered. You may need to also ensure that signals to the circuit that is peered down are disabled to prevent this.