Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Composition of 1970's TRW Series HEW Capacitors?

shrtrnd

Jan 15, 2010
Repairing an old HP Recorder, chalk full of 1970's era TRW HEW Series capacitors.
Some are in motor control circuits, some in signal processing circuits.
With all the modern-day equivalents out there, I'd like to replace them with whatever is most closely related.
Voltages range from 50VDC to 600VDC.
Thanks

shrtrnd

Jan 15, 2010
Having found my previous posts entered here, from years ago when Googleing new infomation; I try to put follow-up information for anybody who stumbles on them years from now,...
I'm going to replace the TRW, HEW Series caps with metallized polyester ones. (I'll add a follow-up post if I see arcs and sparks. Otherwise, we can assume the metal/poly ones worked ok.)

TorontoBob

Oct 6, 2013
Unless they are meant to take high peak currents like in snubber or pulse circuits where you would want low dielectric absorption, where you would want polypropylene (which are bigger), let us know how the metalized mylar (polyester) ones worked.

TRW became ASC Capacitors and they have nothing on the HEW series listed.

shrtrnd

Jan 15, 2010
Well, the recoder is running fine, so the metallized polyester caps are doing the job.
Thanks for the info on what became of the TRW cap franchise. I couldn't find much on-line when searching for cross reference information.
It's good to know who took-over from the TRW company product.