Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Computer psu spin off.

davelectronic

Dec 13, 2010
Hello every one I've not been in for a while, shall try harder :) anyway looking at the computer efficiency thread i was wanting to know the same question, but, and its a big one, ok so what's the likely efficiency of a modded ATX for other uses (say radio).

Problem is I've modded a few and found a mixture of results, some lower rated units will deliver more power than say a unit twice its rated output current, this included better voltage tolerance in the lesser powered rated unit, not sure why.

Another issue is my absence of a decent scope, i know i know i should have one, but.......... when the funds become available, on another question, has anyone tested secondary output ripple on any rails when static ( no load ) and ( loaded with in specifications for a given rail voltage ) i would be interested if anyone has done this and has any results.

Example: recently modded an old Delta 160 watt ATX and a Micro ATX of 300 watts CTE i think, the Delta way and above out performs the newer 300 watt ATX i was very surprised, current delivery loaded and regulation are much better.

I know this is beyond the units as a whole intended purposes, but a lot of people use these units in all sorts of roles, modellers radio users audio buffs to name a few, so as i don't expect the same from the rated plate i would have hoped for something close, its a similar story with others I've modded some just do better than others, just straight thinking, is it all to do with quality of the units etc, thoughts anyone would be interesting and input appreciated. :)

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
Many power supplies have limits per voltage rail.

A 300W power supply may not be able to produce anything like this on the 12V rail.

davelectronic

Dec 13, 2010
Hi Steve.
I guessed it might be this way, :( the 300 watt unit was from new, although cheap and cheerful, the older delta is solid an feels like better quality, under the hood its better as well, the 300 watt seems to have no PFC but the delta does, not 100 % if this makes a difference, there is another member not to far from me with a bit of an interest in these things i think it would be far to say, must catch up with him and see what he knows :cool: still thanks for the reply. ;)