Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Confused by circuit. A to B and B to C implies A to C?

seanspotatobusiness

Sep 11, 2012
I made a simple circuit to take current from my dynamo to charge batteries and power lights in parallel. I'm having a problem that doesn't make any sense to me. For simple wires (semi-conductors) I would expect that if A and B are connected (<2 ohms) and B and C are connected (<2 ohms) then A must be connected to C. In my situation A does not register as connected to C according to my multimeter. I'm really confused as to how this could be.

Edit: I made a brief video that is maybe not really necessary. It's still uploading at time of edit.

Edit: I also made a schematic but I think the battery symbol is upside down.

1cfFKT9.png

Last edited:

Bluejets

Oct 5, 2014
Try redrawing your diagram with a pen and paper.
Your circuit references are meaningless.
Also what voltage is the battery, what are the Leds, what voltage are they, ???
Sorry, but your video is not much help either as all we can see is the back of your head and the rest is too far away to decipher.
Simple wires are not semiconductors.
Battery symbol is oriented correctly.

seanspotatobusiness

Sep 11, 2012
I forgot to say that I disconnected the battery so the voltage of the battery doesn't really matter. It has three discharged NiCd cells and stands at ~3 V presently.

The circuit references aren't meaningless; they show the points where I'm connecting the DMM to check for continuity.

Filming a decent video that gets everything close up whilst I also moving a probe around and showing the bigger picture is a bit much beyond my cinematography skills.

duke37

Jan 9, 2011
Videos here sometimes work and sometimes do not. I abhor them, they wiggle around and have bad sound. Use pictures and text.
You need a resistor in series with the leds.

If A connects to B and B connects to C, then there is a connection between A and C.

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
For simple wires (semi-conductors)

are not semiconductors

I would expect that if A and B are connected (<2 ohms) and B and C are connected (<2 ohms) then A must be connected to C. In my situation A does not register as connected to C according to my multimeter

then you have a wiring problem
Again, show us a clear photo of your construction

If A connects to B and B connects to C, then there is a connection between A and C.

exactly ..... again .... check for a wiring problem