Maker Pro
Maker Pro

COnfused over MAX5035 math for Cin value

gruvin

May 25, 2022
Hi. Hoping someone can tell me where I'm going wrong here with this simple looking formula but which I cannot get any sense out of.

In the MAX5035 Datasheet (link) on Page 12 there is are formulas for calculating ESRIN and CIN.

Initially, I just smashed buttons on my calculator but came to stupid results. So, I made a spreadsheet to break things down. Same stupid results! Please see attached image.

Clearly, I'm waaaay off trying to figure this out. I have similar trouble trying to calculate inductance later on in the datasheet. What on Earth am I missing here?

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• ESR_C_Math.png
    ESR_C_Math.png
    112.3 KB · Views: 4

gruvin

May 25, 2022
Oh and, I'm confident the mathematics itself is good ... just maybe my understanding of the inputs or what I'm actually calculating is an issue, I think? Like, perhaps the result is actually the complex output impedance of the circuit or something and not a formula to calculate a desirable value for CIN itself?? That would be weird though, wouldn't it?

On that note though, what is the use of calculating ESRIN anyway? I suppose we could ensure the selected capacitor has a resistive impedance of less than 80mΩ at 125KHz or something but it's not like there's much practical choice out there. Seems dodgy.

Clearly I'm a n0ob hre but to my credit, last week I couldn't even spell inginaire!

CircutScoper

Mar 29, 2022
Hi. Hoping someone can tell me where I'm going wrong here with this simple looking formula but which I cannot get any sense out of.

In the MAX5035 Datasheet (link) on Page 12 there is are formulas for calculating ESRIN and CIN.

Initially, I just smashed buttons on my calculator but came to stupid results. So, I made a spreadsheet to break things down. Same stupid results! Please see attached image.

Clearly, I'm waaaay off trying to figure this out. I have similar trouble trying to calculate inductance later on in the datasheet. What on Earth am I missing here?

Thanks in advance.

Please note that D = Vout/Vin, but you instead calculated Vin/Vout. Try it again with D = 0.069 instead of 14.55

gruvin

May 25, 2022
Please note that D = Vout/Vin, but you instead calculated Vin/Vout. Try it again with D = 0.069 instead of 14.55

OMG. Thank you! So simple and right in front of me the whole time!

I bet my inductor calculations (which also use D=Vout/Vin) have the exact same problem. Good grief.

You made my day!

CircutScoper

Mar 29, 2022
OMG. Thank you! So simple and right in front of me the whole time!

I bet my inductor calculations (which also use D=Vout/Vin) have the exact same problem. Good grief.

You made my day!

Happy to help. Maybe one day you'll reciprocate -- again. Sorry -- a (very) little arithmetical humor there. ;)