Maker Pro
Maker Pro

connect high power signal to oscilloscope?

Emam

Jul 7, 2014
Hello
Sorry if the question is too basic for some of you.

I have a voltage (10V ) but with current about 5 A. Therefore the power of this signal is 50W.
I would like to know if I can connect it to the oscilloscope to see it?

I am afraid to break something?

And can I also see the current signal ? how can i do that?

Thanks a lot

bertus

Nov 8, 2019
Hello,

Show a drawing / picture of the intended setup?
Where do you want to measure?
A scope will see the voltage.

bertus

Harald Kapp

Nov 17, 2011
I have a voltage (10V ) but with current about 5 A. Therefore the power of this signal is 50W.
That power is not relevant to your measurement. It is the power the signal can deliver at max.
When you measure the voltage, then the oscilloscope will draw almost no current as the input resistance of an oscilloscope is 1 MΩ (or 10 MΩ with a 10:1 probe). Using a 10:1 probe is advisable:
  • Input voltage to the scope is reduced to 1 V
  • Input resistance is increased by 10 ×
  • input capacitance is reduced
If you want to measure the current with the oscilloscope, you can not directly connect the scope into the current path (scopes measure voltage only). You will then have to wire a current sensor, e.g. a small series resistor into your circuit and connect the scope probe across the resistor. Current can be derived from the voltage measurement using Ohm's law.
Or use a dedicated current probe.

If you want to measure both voltage and current, you need to be careful where you place the ground connection of your probes to avoid short circuits. ground of both probes is internally connected within the scope so you need to have it on the same potential in the circuit that's being measured, too.
See this example:
upload_2020-11-16_6-0-11.png

Emam

Jul 7, 2014
Thanks alot,
I wanted just to be sure to do not burn my scope :)
but in fact since there is internal resistance of 1M ohm, thats very fine for me.
Thank you again and bests regards