Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Connect several wires without relays?

Antleo

Sep 6, 2016
I have a project where i need to control how several wires are routed to each other, i have 4 sets of 3 wires. within each set the wires have to be either connected or no connection between any of the 3. Then when a button is pushed the wires have to connect, or disconnect and possibly connect to another wire in one of the other sets. the only way i can think to do it is relays, but id like to avoid doing this as it will clutter up the board a lot. I am using an arduino for other functions, if theres another chip or if someone has an idea with a better circuit please let me know!

Thanks!!

AnalogKid

Jun 10, 2015
If the wires have 100,000 volts at 100 amps, then switching them can be a real problem. If your signals are something different, you might want to share that information.

ak

73's de Edd

Aug 21, 2015
aka solid state relays . . . . . . . .
But . . . . . initially check for having the proper . . . . . BULGE . . . . . in your full wallet.

kellys_eye

Jun 25, 2010
Simply - use diodes.

Sounds very much like an X-Y switching arrangement to me.

kellys_eye

Jun 25, 2010
It's otherwise known as 'cross point switching'

Many years ago (about 40 to be precise!) I made a simple diode cross-point switch to decode a Single Pole 10-way rotary switch to 7-segment LED display using a diode matrix.

Google the bold words to see what I mean (diode matrix in particular)

AnalogKid

Jun 10, 2015
Are any of the wires bi-directional, or are some of the source-only and some load-only?
Can you post a wiring diagram indicating the signal flows?
Can you post any other useful information - size restraints, budget, environment, power sources available for the control circuit - ???

ak

BobK

Jan 5, 2010
Then when a button is pushed the wires have to connect, or disconnect and possibly connect to another wire in one of the other sets.
Depending on what you mean, the button itself can do all of that.

Does a single button make / break multiple connections on only a single one?

It the change momentary or latching?

Bob

ChosunOne

Jun 20, 2010
I have a project where i need to control how several wires are routed to each other, i have 4 sets of 3 wires. within each set the wires have to be either connected or no connection between any of the 3. Then when a button is pushed the wires have to connect, or disconnect and possibly connect to another wire in one of the other sets. the only way i can think to do it is relays, but id like to avoid doing this as it will clutter up the board a lot. I am using an arduino for other functions, if theres another chip or if someone has an idea with a better circuit please let me know!

Thanks!!

Look up switching transistors, aka solid state switches, aka solid state relays.

The relays are exactly what I was trying to avoid..

The x-y switching arrangement, how would one set this up? I can't seem to find much online for it.

Your objection to using relays--I assumed electromechanical relays, with electomagentic coils and mechanical armatures with physical contact points--seemed to be their size cluttering up the board. That's why I suggested transistors instead. They're smaller and many can fit on a PCB without "cluttering it up."

Switching transistors, aka solid state switches, aka solid state relays are all essentially the same thing: Transistors, Some switching transistors are called "solid state relays" but they aren't relays, they're transistors: Semiconductor devices with smaller size and power requirements.

We could eliminate a lot of useless suggestions if you would post a schematic with relays, and then ask how to eliminate the relays.