Maker Pro

Connecting a USB Development Board to a A4988 Stepper Motor Driver Carrier

Xformermike

Sep 16, 2012
I need to connect THIS
http://www.pololu.com/catalog/product/1183/pictures

to THIS
http://www.pjrc.com/store/teensy_pins.html

I Need to connect these two things and I have very little knowledge about electronics... Can someone help me out?

I need to know the entire process... Which wires to use? Is there a specific kind? What wires to connect to what parts? Please be as detailed as possible in your answer as I am incredibly green about this stuff.

Thanks in advance- I greatly appreciate it!

Mike.

Harald Kapp

Nov 17, 2011
Te page for the stepper driver shows the
Minimal wiring diagram for wiring a 5V microcontroller to an A4983/A4988 stepper motor driver carrier with voltage regulators (full-step mode).
on the bottom right.
Which pins of the Teensy you use depends on your application (which, of course, you'll have to write yourself).
Use any thin wire you have lying around for the connection from Teensy to the driver. Use thick wire (AWG 20 or thickrt) for the wires from the driver to the motor and from the power supply to the driver.

Xformermike

Sep 16, 2012
Thank you. That helps.

You see... I am such a newb that I do not even know that the way you connect the two devices must be specific to the device you are attaching it to...Ouch- do I feel dumb!

So in this case it's for a Stepper Motor... I have the firmware and software for it already. So I'm good on that.

So... I need to connect it (once both chips are wired together properly) to the Stepper Motor. So I guess there must be a specific way to wire it that is configured for a Stepper Motor? I'm not sure if matters but the stepper motor will be to run a z axis positioner. Am I understanding this correctly or way off again? lol.

Do you think there might be a better place to be posting this? Perhaps a stepper motor forum?

Thank you very much for your answer- it means a lot to me.

Mike.

Last edited:

Harald Kapp

Nov 17, 2011
The wiring is shown on the diagram on the stepper motor article page. Have you read the FAQ on that page? Wehre exactly is the problem?

Xformermike

Sep 16, 2012
The problem is that I'm an idiot and have never done something like this before.

I've rtfm now so get it now... It's really quite simple. Thanks for your help.